Quick help needed, please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quick help needed, please

Getting some hair algae and spot green on rocks. From Rex's guide, I see I need to add phosphates, reduce food and add some excell. My C02 is down, probably because I added a H.O.B. filter for added water polishing (adds water current/splash).

Here's my tank readings (MY TARGETS ARE IN RED)

pH= 6.8 (Target = 6.8)
KH = 80 ppm (4 degrees)
GH 160 ppm (12 degrees)
Kno3 = 15 ppm (20 ppm)
P04 = 0.25 mg/L (?? target suggestions?)
N02 = 0.1 mg/L (?? target suggestions?)
C02 = 21 ppm (30 ppm)

(1) how do you convert ppm to degrees for KH/GH, or what should the ppm target be?

(2) suggested targets for P04 and No2 and how do I convert mg/L to ppm?

Any other suggestions, thoughts, comments on ridding the algae and paraneters greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesann View Post
(1) how do you convert ppm to degrees for KH/GH, or what should the ppm target be?
17.1 ppm equals 1 degree ...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I do know that you divide the ppm by 17.9 to get german degrees.
As far as I know phosphates are the main nutrient source of algae so I don't think you should add that. But I had some hair algae and I removed as much as I could by hand and did the triple dose of excel and got some algae eating fish and I haven't seen it since. I also added a phosphate remover to my filter.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Phosphates should be on a 1:10 ratio with your nitrates.

FM. Take a few minutes and read my Guide. You really need to. The idea that phosphates cause algae is a myth.

jules: You should have no NO2 (nitrites). Did you check for ammonia?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for how to get degrees to ppm.

I added normal strength dosage of excel. Did not want to triple dose since I tweaked the press. Co2 to see I can get it to better perform. I need to monitor the new Co2 to ensure no fish problems before I add more excel.

CLEAN UP CREW: I have a 2 octocinclus and 1 SAE, the latter preferring to eat flake food and what sinking pellets or algae wafers I drop for the 3 yoyo's and 5 panda corys. It's a struggle to get him to focus on algae rather the 'mannah that drops from the heavens.'

REX: ammonia is 0. The No2 is probally 0 too. It's a hagen test and they're not very precise so I was looking to see colour and 'rounded up.' But I would feel comfortable saying it was 0 too.

The 10:1 rule is good. So, if I take my P04 reading of 0.25 and multiply by 7.1, phosphates = 4.27 ppm and since my nitrates are 15, I probably need to beef it up a bit. I'll add a 1/16th tsp of P04 (per my 27 gal) and see if that helps.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishymatty View Post
I do know that you divide the ppm by 17.9 to get german degrees.
As far as I know phosphates are the main nutrient source of algae so I don't think you should add that. ........ I also added a phosphate remover to my filter.
Phosphates are not the main nutrient source of algae. Ammonia and CO2 instability are the main triggers that start algae spores growing. Other than that, algae eat what plants eat. If we keep enough plants in the tank, growing in good health, they will consume the ammonia that comes from fish poop, decay, etc, as soon as it appears and before the algae can react to it. That means providing the plants with adequate nutrients and light, and maintaining a steady level of CO2 in the water during every lights-on cycle.

Hoppy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Hoppy. The Co2 is usually stable, same with water parameters.

Right now I'm overstocked after platy's reproduced. I'm trying to find takers for them, until then, perhaps 50" of fish in a 27 gallon tank is causing the imballance?

I do 50% w/c every week and right now, using liquid NPK dosing though I have dry ferts on hand.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
Quote:

(2) suggested targets for P04 and No2 and how do I convert mg/L to ppm?

Any other suggestions, thoughts, comments on ridding the algae and paraneters greatly appreciated!
Julesann -

(1)the correct conversion for ppm KH/GH is to divide your ppm by 17.86 to get degrees hardness.

(2) I'd go with about 3-4ppm PO4 and 20-30ppm NO3. THERE IS NO CONVERSION for ppm to mg/L. They are one and the same.

Quote:
The 10:1 rule is good. So, if I take my P04 reading of 0.25 and multiply by 7.1, phosphates = 4.27 ppm and since my nitrates are 15, I probably need to beef it up a bit. I'll add a 1/16th tsp of P04 (per my 27 gal) and see if that helps.

If your PO4 tests at 0.25mg/L, then you have 0.25ppm - again, they are the same thing. You are going to want to bump that up. Low PO4 is a contributing factor to your GSA. Possibly your hair algae situation as well. You can try some amano shrimp (Caridina multidentata) or Rosy Barbs for the hair algae. Switch over to your dry ferts.

Sergio C.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 06:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Doh, sorry. I just installed a water softener. 17.1ppm equals one grain per gallon as a measure of hardness. 17.8ppm equals 1 German degree for hardness.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to retoid Send a message via MSN to retoid
how do you check phosphate levels?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode