Problem!!! I Just don't know HELP! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Problem!!! I Just don't know HELP!

Background.
45g heavily planted,5.4watt/gal, 2 discus and large school of tetras and some various algae eaters. About 40 fish in all.
20g Heavily planted,3watt/gal 4Dwarf puffers, Algae eaters, 3 clown loaches.

My tap water can be ph7.4 to 6.4 and I didn't know that till recently.
Kh under 10ppm

so needless to say my fish would end up in an acid water with in a day.
I have that fixed now but who knows how bad my fish have been hurt.

If I don't aerate the water when the lights are on the fish all end up gasping at the surface. I have a new injected co2 system but stopped it because the fish are having respiratory problems.
What can I do to be able to inject co2 and not have my fish suffocate.
If the water is being aerated, injecting co2 would be worthless right?
My plants won't produce the o2 needed.
please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
First your fish probably adapted to being in slightly high ph water unless that is a change within a day.

Second, adjust your co2 and measure ph/kh after it has been onl throughout the photoperiod and see how much co2 you have in the water. Of course this will only be accurate if you don't have substrate that changes those parameters.

I inject co2 at a pretty high amount(4-5bps ~40ppms) and my fish are not gasping at all and I have zero airstones in my tank just a Lily pipe under the water surface.

You need to find the balance of the tank.

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have the lilly pipe too. 0 aeration during the day but mt fish gasp. They gasp even with out the co2. there seems to be just not enough o2 in the water.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 02:42 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
try positioning the lilly to increase surface agitation...fish gasp from lack of O2 not somuch too much CO2...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I actually have an air stone that I can turn on and raise the lilly pipe but won't that cancel out the use of co2. With aeration, will that cause a problem in the growth of the plants. Whats the middle ground or the right way to handle a situation like this?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Are you using Prime or another good dechlorinator? I can't believe that your fish are responding to low Oxygen or high CO2. You do have abnormally high watts per gallon on the 45 gallon tank, so if you don't keep it well fertilized and with adequate CO2, the plants will quickly use up the nutrients, then stop growing. That means no more O2 being generated.

Hoppy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Try just turning on the CO2 only during the day... and off at night... Plant's don't need CO2 at night.. They actually release CO2 & absorb O2 at night... The reverse of the day time activities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do turn off the co2 at night. I use the API tap water conditioner because when I use prime I get a positive ammonia reading so I just use a regular conditioner.
What should I do to keep the plants well fertilized. I didn't know that the plants could stop producing o2 due to over lighting.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishymatty View Post
I do turn off the co2 at night. I use the API tap water conditioner because when I use prime I get a positive ammonia reading so I just use a regular conditioner.
What should I do to keep the plants well fertilized. I didn't know that the plants could stop producing o2 due to over lighting.
The ammonia reading with Prime are a false positive. Prime breaks down chloramine and neutralizes the ammonia. But common ammonia test kits will still show ammonia in the water.

But since you have shown a remarkable tendency to keep asking the same question on different forums at different times and not liking the answers you receive I doubt that this answer will make a difference. I only do it for the people who will come along and read this answer.

Take a few minutes and read the Prime FAQ: http://seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime_faq.html
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishymatty View Post
If you are getting a positive ammonia reading with Prime, your water probably contains chloramines, so you need a dechlorinator that is specifically made to neutralize chloramine. I don't know if the API product does that.

Light drives plant growth. So, high light will drive the plants to grow very well, using up whatever nutrients are available to them, unless you keep adding more in a timely manner. When the first nutrient runs out the plants will slow way down in growth, greatly reducing their oxygen production. That means if you use very high light intensity, as you are, you absolutely have to be providing a good fertilizing regime, including pressurized CO2.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode