K+potassium K204 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
K+potassium K204

okay I looked and can't fine an abbreviation page.

Could someone tell me what this is?? I was going to order some stuff but got busy and now that I am ready, can't figure out what it means.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You're probably looking for K2S04, potassium sulphate (or sulphate of potash). This is used for supplemental potassium dosing above and beyond what you add when dosing KNO3 (potassium nitrate) and KH2PO4 (potassium phosphate)

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
K2S04, it is Potassium sulfate.
Bottom of the page.

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/store/products.php

Craig

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada View Post
You're probably looking for K2S04, potassium sulphate (or sulphate of potash). This is used for supplemental potassium dosing above and beyond what you add when dosing KNO3 (potassium nitrate) and KH2PO4 (potassium phosphate)
Or if you have a low tech tank you need the K+
ninja...

Craig

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx View Post
ninja...
Or if you're doing the AquaSoil + Powersand setup.

Bill

|
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx View Post
ninja...
I have low tech and was trying to follow your posted recommendation, so what is K+??

I have algea that won't go away and while I added the excel today and some flourish when I highly cleaned the tank, the algea was back on the plants I just cleaned and the walls within the hour. Granted you can only pick up so much of the mess in the water, but for me the excel seems to turn my water green.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
there is also K2O..
potassium oxide.. I use that to fert K

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
K= Potassium

FUNction over form

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

How much light do you have over this low tech tank? and how long are you burning it?
What size tank?

You need the Potassium to dose with the Flourish and the Excel.
Do you have enough plant mass in the tank?

Don't dose anything and don't burn to much light for to long until you can get all the ingredients in the water that needs to be there.

Craig

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

K

I have a 210 gallon, I don't have enough plants in it as I pulled a lot to save them from the algea and put them in other tanks.

I have sunteks, 2 of them at 6 bulbs each 54 watts. Right now I only use 2 bulbs on each unit to drop the light level. I started this about 3 to 4 weeks ago after a black out period. So about 216 watts around 9 hours a day.

So K is any kind of potasium?? I get confused with the K K+ Ko2 etc.

I have r/o, eco and about 26 half dollar sized angels, a couple picca cats, 5 corries and 3 big angels. This is a bit overloaded but it has only been about 3 weeks. The new tank is coming and that number will be decreased a bit and angels shifted around in the new tank and the other tanks.

I got the larger wattage of lights for possible future co2. Right now I am not ready for it. With the new tank coming the two tanks will be centered under the hanging light fixtures so each get the light on one side of the tank until I save up enough to get another set.

Since you recommended no additives to keep the water soft for the angels, just the flourish for calcium and trace minerals, do you mean no flourish and no excel?? Or no potasium?? Confused
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Carol,
You are burning way to much light, that is why it has exploded with algae, you are going to need to either reduce the lighting more or get a pressurized C02 system.
That is a hell of a light system you have there, it puts out more than you think.
Slow things down a bit or go pressurized.

Craig

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Since I am only using 216 watts on the 210 gallon so I don't think 1 watt per gallon is too much. Yes if I did use all of it I would be in trouble, which is what I did do a couple months ago. Hense the problem that currently won't go away.

The lowered wattage has been running for a couple months now after the black out and several cleanings.

Under this scenerio what should I be adding to my r/o water?? Your earlier recommendation was just flourish and excel and K or ko????

Sorry to keep asking but I don't want to make an error because I don't know which K to add. There are so many of them.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
what kind of algae did you get? and how much plants do you have?
wow .. 210 is big.

Do you have to use RO water? RO water is pretty much without calcium, magnesium, and other trace minerals that the plants need. You have to add it back in so the plants can thrive... If not, the algae will thrive.

Your light is pretty low and you have no CO2, I don't think you need to bother adding the Macronutrients like Nitrogen, Potassium(K), Phosphate.
The plants will get that from fish poop & fish food.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

algea

I have green stuff on the walls and brownish on the plants, like a coating. I clean the plants and walls with every water change, and yes I have to use r/o. I generally do at least one change a week and if the algea is bad I do it twice. I keep after it.

I have been using seachem for planted tanks at a lower dosage to add something back, but I wanted to use something a bit cheaper and that disolves better to add back in the traces and calcium and mag.

It has been recommended to add flourish and K and no seachem, I don't know which one of the K's. Since I have algea it was said to add nothing too. I need to just have the basics until the tank stablizes which it is trying, but I don't know what is best for now

I don't have a lot of plants as I pulled them to save them the lilly types are very thin and getting holes in them as well as the swords, the eco should be helping with the basics along with the seachem, but obviously something is not working.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

All the K's are basically the same Carol it is Potassium, that is the K, K+, etc.
When I referred to K+ I was referring to any one of these K's
The K in KN03=Potassium+nitrate, the K in KH2P04=Potassium+Phosphate and the K in K2S04= Potassium+sulfate.

You are burning to much light if you are having to clean algae off the glass and plants that much in a low tech tank, you are not so low tech with that light as it is.
Reduce the intensity by turning off more bulbs or raise the fixture higher off the tank or add pressurized C02 and NPK, trace minerals.
Hope I didn't confuse you even more

Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode