K+potassium K204 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
So any of the potassium will work, I don't think I need any phosphates with this fish load.

So you think 1 watt per gallon is excessive?? That really surprizes me.

Since we moved the tank 3 feet to fit the other tank on that wall, each tank will have only half of the light set up until I can afford to cover the other side of the tanks. So with only two of the 6 bulbs turned on it will be knocked down to 108 watts on a 210 and that is only a half watt per gallon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/98%)
There is a thread somewhere talking about why the wpg rule doesn't apply to large tanks... or you could just read Rex guide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We made it !!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Carol, if you are going by "the WPG rule" that is where some of your problem may be, that does not work as you are seeing, on a tank that size, the algae and plants are telling you so.
The plants and algae are your ultimate test kit, in a low tech tank with the algae issue's you are talking about, you have to much light.
I have a couple low tech tanks running for a few years now, if I added more light without C02, you can bet they would burst out with algae rather fast.
If you either reduce the light intensity, or add C02 you would see a big difference either way.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx View Post
K2S04, it is Potassium sulfate.
Bottom of the page.

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/store/products.php
You could get the Barr's GH booster from this store to add back some calcium and mg for the RO water. Or you could get calcium chloride at Lowes. They sell it as an additive for dehumidifiers called DryZ Air and its little BB sized pellets of pure calcium chloride. Its a little over a dollar for about a pound which goes a long ways. And pick up some Epsom salts for the MG at a drug store. Both are much cheaper than Seachem's Equilibrium..

Re:dosing, well I have that somewhere. PM me if you need dosing. I have it in gram weights for 50 gallon RO water changes. The only problem with dosing both at the same time is you can get a harder to dissolve calcium (edit) sulfate? precipitate. So you have to dose some hours apart. I think it was dosed somewhere near 6.5 grams Mg. (epsom salts) to 16 grams Calcium per 50 gallons RO water. Or is it the other way around? Help me out Craig. Or PM Kevin C. He will know it for sure.

Or if you have hard tap water, you can mix your Ro water with a bit of your tap to get enough GH. Perhaps that's what you are doing.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Last edited by Betowess; 03-13-2007 at 08:05 PM. Reason: remembered sulfate
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

It is interesting to think that 1 wpg is too much on a big tank. I had a 150 going with over 2 watts per gallon with no headaches at all.

This newer tank is also tall, 29.5 inches. I do think the quality of the reflectors in the sunteks make a huge difference.

So far the algea has been held at bay for 3 days on the half lit tank. 108 watts just over one side. I planted some of the plants I received over on that side and will see as I add slowly what happens.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip I have read that calcium chlorine does disolve better and the epsom salt is cheap too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode