Low pH in aquarium, high pH tap water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Low pH in aquarium, high pH tap water

Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster

I have a 46 gal bowfront with a large piece of driftwood in it. The water coming out of my tap reads on my pH test kit at or above 7.6. The water in my tank reads at or below 6.0. I'm pretty sure the driftwood is causing the pH drop, all I have in the tank are 2 anubias nana, a sag, and a lace java fern. The fish in there are 7 rummynose, 6 cherry barb, and 2 GBR. (Oh yea, theres a clay pot in there too, turned on its side to be like a cave)

My question is, how should I go about doing water changes? Is it safe to add the high pH tap water into the tank with lower pH? I'm not sure of my kH/gH as I don't have a kit for it yet, but if its necessary information for you guys to help me out, I'll definitely go out and buy it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
The rummy noses love that low PH..
You can do little water changes more frequently.. like 10-15%..
Or treat your new water by soaking peat moss in there for a bit to lower the ph... I'm not a fan of chemicals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 02:44 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
. I am having the same problem on my 10gal shrimp tank, H2O goes to 6.0 after 24 hrs. I took all my wood out and have been doing H2O changes, Added some lime stone. Made sure there was no dead plants and nothing rotten. Also added baking soda. Trying to get it to get above 7. And in my other tanks I would love this softer H2O. I will let you know if mine corrects with what I am doing.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 05:24 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can bet it's your driftwood, especially if you have a low buffering capacity in your water. I have the same problem, luckily for me my tank is a south american tank so the fish love it. The type of wood that I have is malasian drift wood and it can change your ph relatively quick, depending partially on the size of your tank. I would still agree with mistergreen above though as far as the water changes. Sometimes substrates can effect your ph too. Run some plastic cup tests over a 24 hour period with some of your substate if your using something other than gravel. Also try it with your regular tap water because your initial tap water ph can be a fake or temporary one. Mine will change a decent amount over a 24 hour period all on it's own. Good Luck!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode