DOH! Marble is my coaster, sorry Scolly, :P - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
DOH! Marble is my coaster, sorry Scolly, :P

A few years back my mom vacationed in Greece. She brought back some beach marble as a souvenir. Looked really nice in the water and I didn't think twice about placing it in my 10g. This is a low tech tank so no CO2.

Thought nothing of it till my WC today on the 55... I had used one of these here to attach some Anubis a few months back during a re-scape. The plant didn't take to the stone but I didn't remove till today.

Moving some plants around I flipped it over and felt the texture. Very porous compared to when it was placed. Then it hit me my CO2 has been breaking down this stone in only a few months. After a quick google found that marble is primarily lime stone. DOH!

Feel like a complete amateur doing this to myself but as usual we all live and learn.

The tank balance may get better now that it's out, but time will tell.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Marble is metamorphosed limestone. So it doesn't dissolve quite as fast, but certainly a large enough slab will alter your water chemistry.

But one thing confuses me about your post. First you said it's a low tech no CO2 10 gallon, and then you said that your CO2 has been breaking down the rock?

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
Marble is metamorphosed limestone. So it doesn't dissolve quite as fast, but certainly a large enough slab will alter your water chemistry.

But one thing confuses me about your post. First you said it's a low tech no CO2 10 gallon, and then you said that your CO2 has been breaking down the rock?
The CO2 in his 55g had broken the marble down. He has no CO2 in the 10g but he has the marble. In the 55g he has CO2 and a dissolving piece of marble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James From Cali View Post
The CO2 in his 55g had broken the marble down. He has no CO2 in the 10g but he has the marble. In the 55g he has CO2 and a dissolving piece of marble.
Doh! Reading that post too fast. Thanks for pointing out my dullness.

I don't really think the rock would have upset your 55. In the 10, the volume of water relative to the rock might have been a problem if you were injecting CO2, but in the 55, shouldn't have been that drastic. Did you seen significant rises in GH, KH and pH?

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was also trying to use more RO water after the addition of this stone in the 55. TDS were always hovering around 250 or so in the 55. I have not tested to see what it is today... I'll check once the baby goes down for a nap.

What is interesting is it did seem to affect the one rams horn shell in the 10...It's mostly white and rough not red/brown as I see in others tanks here.

Most of these stones are no more than 2 sq in. But all regardless all were deteriorating, just faster in the CO2 tank.

Fished out what I can find in the 10 and of course the one in the 55. It may not have been a significant difference but couldn't help with my adding Ca to the RO, will never know.

My issues lately were brown diatoms in the 55. At this point I'm not going the RO route any longer and just using tap water again. Well see if it clears up with the latest WC regime.

I agree it may not have been the issue but better safe then sorry.

BTW: The 10g is soooo much easier and hands off. It never seems to have any big issues any longer.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
For me, over the years, it seems something in substrate is what always causes the most trouble in a tank. If I have a truly inert or approching inert substrate, everything falls into place. In your case, who would have known marble could be a calcium source? I also assumed marble was some sort of super heated granite and inert as well.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
From Wikipedia:

Marble is a metamorphic rock resulting from the metamorphism of limestone, composed mostly of calcite (a crystalline form of calcium carbonate, CaCO3).

I thought it was common knowledge that marble could affect water chemistry.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yup a bone headed move on my part. Not thinking it through...

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
From Wikipedia:

Marble is a metamorphic rock resulting from the metamorphism of limestone, composed mostly of calcite (a crystalline form of calcium carbonate, CaCO3).

I thought it was common knowledge that marble could affect water chemistry.
No need for the asinine comment rex, the wiki quote would've been sufficient.

The brotherhood of Tek - President and member numero uno.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 10:30 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Rex, I thought it was common knowledge too, only because one of my first posts here was about rock in the tank, and that was one of the "limestone" types.....then we discussed adding acid to test the potential rock addition to your tank.....

Kr your life just got a little easier~
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Arrrgggg... It's ok. Let's hope things get better. I found the same reference when I pulled the crap from my tanks, not that it helps any now...At least it's on the forum thanks to Rex and my blunder.

So at some point we have more information covering mistakes made with in correct hard scape material.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

My mistake happened when I was eight years old and my parents bought a set of World Book Encyclopedias. I truly thought they had bought them for me to read. So I read them. Every volume. Front to back. My head is full of little stuff. I just wish I could find my car keys in the morning.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

LOL... We had a 1967 set... Pop got suckered by a door to door salesman. Wish we still had it along with the monster Webster Dictionary.

Keys, Access Badge, Digipass, Cell phone they all go missing one day a week.

Rex,
I need to hook up with you for some parts soon. Once a plan is solid I'll drop you a PM.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Our set was a 1968. Same situation on the door to door salesman.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Reading glasses. Constantly . I think ours was Compton's, don't know what year, but I seem to remember they said it was impossible to split the atom .

I had forgotten about marble until I started looking into it at one point. Sometimes information gets buried in all the other trivia in my brain.

SlŠinte!
Cindy

-
ó 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

ó lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode