PTrader: (3/100%)
Nitrate Levels

I did some water tests. They were as follows:

2deg - KH
8.5deg - KH
0 - Amonia
0 - Nitrites
90ppm - Nitrates

I dose EI and have a question in regards to reducing my Nitrates, prior to using something like PURA Nitratelock. Is there a direct correlation between dosing KNO3 and/or are there other factors like fish waste, etc? I thnk the answer is Yes/Yes.

My trace elements mix is 9tsp of KN03 and 3 tsp of K2S04. This is mixed with 500ml of distilled water and done 3x's per week at 80ml in my 125 gallon tank.

Prior to adding anything to remove Nitrates, should I simply stop adding KN03 to my trace mix for awhile?
** Please note these numbers are just prior to my weekly 50% water change, so the numbers are at their peek in the EI process. I do have some algae on the sides of glass and some plants, so my plants are obviously not using all Nitrogen and there is excess that is providing algae its food.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Is your test kit calibrated? I would make sure it is acurate before doing anything.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

All I can say is that previous readings when I was watching were reading 20ppm, so I am assuming all is okay with the test kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
My first comment is why would you waste time making a solution for a 125 gallon tank. Dosing dry would be much easier and quicker.

Second comment is never assume anything about a nitrate test kit. Test it.

Are you dosing phosphates and trace minerals also? Or just nitrate and potassium? And what are your CO2 levels?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Rex,

I don't find making the solution difficult at all. I would much rather pour 80ml of a solution nightly without dealing with dry goods. Just personal choice I guess.

Ok, took water over to LFS and the reading for Nitrates was similar.

Dosing - M,W,F -- KNO3 and K2S04 (stopped KH2P04 due to GDA)
T,Th,Sat -- CSM+B (1 tablespoon of Plantex CSM+B and 1 tablespoon of Magnesium Sulfate in 1/2 litre of water)

Both are dosed at 80ml on the respective day(s).

I gave up on CO2 levels. Low PH due to Soilmaster (swing 5.5-6 daily), so I am not sure. I am putting in about 4-5bps with some pearling late in the day.

Let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Ted

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You need to dose phosphates. Without phosphates the plants can't use the nitrates.

Also you need to find where the nitrates are coming from. Could be the AS.

Take some water from the tank. Let it sit for 24 hours. Measure the pH. Now shoot for a 1 drop from the pH. That will give you 30 ppm.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
And when you does iron, you need to dose Mg too. They go hand in hand like Nitrogen & phosphate.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Cool

Coming from AS? I am not familiar with that achronym ( I will no doubt feel stupid when you tell me). DOOH!

I'm screwed. About to give up. So my other thread is no my problems with diatoms. So I find something that removes silicates (but phosphates as well). I read that the phosphates are causing my GDA, so I cut it out of my mix and now my focus on silicates will remove ALL phosphates, which now I read that this will impact my plants ability to use Nitrates.

The circle of life has me dizzy!! Plastic/silks plants are starting to look better every day. In stead of keeping this 41 year olds BP down, it is having the reverse effect.

Ted

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My bad. I for some reason thought you had Aquasoil in there. But you have Soilmaster.

Diatom algae is common in most any newly setup tank. It goes away after a couple of weeks.

All those "removal" products are aimed at non-planted tanks. And there really is no reason to use them on planted tanks.

Get your nutrients in balance and the rest will follow.

And you might be dosing a bit too much micros if you are actually dosing 3 dry tablespoons a week. That's a ton of iron in there and excess iron can cause algae problems.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My tank is not newly setup, that is the my struggle. I must have silicates in my water from tap or ?? So, it was either attempt to remove silicates "in-tank" or possibly via a Kent HI-S RO setup.

The 9 Tsp (3 tbspns) of KN03 is for two weeks, not one... based off of my interp of EI recommendations from this site, Greg Watson site, etc.

I also recalled that my phosphate dosage has gone from zero to 1/2 recommended (3 tsps).

Ted

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I was not talking about KNO3. I was referring to:

Quote:
T,Th,Sat -- CSM+B (1 tablespoon of Plantex CSM+B and 1 tablespoon of Magnesium Sulfate in 1/2 litre of water)
That's a LOT of micros.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Rex,

That is two weeks worth @ 80ml every other day (3x per week). Sorry my description was a bit confusing. Is this amount okay?

Thanks,

Ted

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That sounds better. But it's still a bit more than the EI guidelines. But not enough to where it should cause problems.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, so 50% water change on Sunday, normal CSM+B treatment on Monday plus feeding. Out of town Tuesday and Wednesday, so no KNO3 or feeding. Tonight tested Nitrates again and at around 10-15ppm.

Question is, after week of 3x CSM+B and 3x KN03 and K2SO4 and limited KH2P04 dosing via EI method, is it normal for Nitrates to be that high and then after water change go back to around 10-20ppm? or, is the limited level of phosphates not allowing the plants to utilize the nitrates?

** Off topic. Got a sweet deal on a FLuval FX5 at ThatPetPlace in Lancaster PA. 30% off in-store only coupon for 1 item on Wednesdays for limited time. Got it for $164 + tax! Woohoo!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode