lower temperature = clearer water ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
lower temperature = clearer water ?

I typically keep my tank 77F-81F during the summer and winter Months.
Lately I've been hosting a lot more mosses in my tank so I decided that
at least during the winter -while it's easier, to keep my tank 69F-73F.
much to my delight, my tank water appears to be a lot clearer now.
so what may be going on here?
am I misapplying the cause and effect?
my fish seem to behave about the same,
and I'm curious to see how this lower temperature
will effect the growth of other plants I've been keeping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 05:11 PM
rey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Interesting theory...I've been running without heaters for several years now without temperature fluctuating more than +/-1 degree due to light fixture heat. Temp centers around 26C/78F. Can't cool it down by lowering room temp (Canadian winters), but water's always been clear, so can't really add anything to your idea...anyone else?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned

oh, I don't cool it with a chiller or cold room temperature,
I just mount a 4" fan between the fixture and tank water.
this trick gets my water about 5F below room temperature
due to the heat transfer from high rate of water evaporation.
my range is +2/-2 also because of my fixture being on or off.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Could your plants be growing faster with the cooler water?

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
Could your plants be growing faster with the cooler water?
I will need another Month before I can definitively answer that question.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 07:58 PM

PTrader: (50/100%)
Maybe bacterial and algae blooms are being limited by the cooler temps. I imagine not all bacterial and algae blooms are serious enough to cause the severe cases of green water or cloudy water people are always posting pics of. Smaller, controlled blooms probably happen all the time in our tanks as part of the natural life cycle. Maybe these are being slowed by the cooler temps? Just a theory. I live near the ocean and I've never seen a large bloom in the winter like you can see in the summer.

I don't have heaters in any of my tanks. I never found it necessary given the room temp is stable. My tank light cause little fluctuation.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

amazing to me how a few degrees matter.
at 69F my fish stay still near the gravel,
which generates more heat from mulm life
at 72F they resume their normal activity.
So I'm going to stay in the 71-75F range,
then take note of plant growth changes.
using a digital and mercury thermometer

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
My first guess would be from a higher 02 content. The warmer the water--the less 02 it will hold. Since using the DIY Oxygenator my water appears noticeably clearer as both I and another user noticed. I have since picked up an 02 tank and regulator off ebay--since dropping temps isn't an option for me (84-85F). I just need to get the tank filled.

The colder water will hold considerably more 02. Which does seem to have a clarifying effect.

HTH

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
My water is crystal clear and my temp is 78-80
did you add more plants to the tank...more plants= less nutrients available for algae ....(just covering the bases)

as for plant growth...i always thought plant growth slowed down the colder it got....the hotter it gets the faster the plants metabolism is so more plant growth (im winging it here)

but we are only really talking a few degrees here...

some plants do seem to like cooler water....but i think regardless of water temp if you have adequate light,co2,and nutrients...you could grow anything
(now im just rambling)

30 gallon pita...102watts..pressurized co2 ...jbj regulator...eco-complete substrate...xp-2... inline c-02 reactor...turbo twist uv
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNas102 View Post
Maybe bacterial and algae blooms are being limited by the cooler temps. I imagine not all bacterial and algae blooms are serious enough to cause the severe cases of green water or cloudy water people are always posting pics of. Smaller, controlled blooms probably happen all the time in our tanks as part of the natural life cycle. Maybe these are being slowed by the cooler temps? Just a theory. I live near the ocean and I've never seen a large bloom in the winter like you can see in the summer.

I don't have heaters in any of my tanks. I never found it necessary given the room temp is stable. My tank light cause little fluctuation.
i like this theory... Colder waters absorb more O2 too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode