Lamotte Phosphate test strips - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Lamotte Phosphate test strips

Phosphate Testing Strips: Pool & Spa Water Testing - LaMotte Company

What do you think?

They go from 0 to 2500 ppb which is 0 to 2.5 ppm.

The EI target range for PO4 is ~ 1.0 to 2.0 ppm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
I would not get a phosphate test kit of any kind that did not have a clearly discernible range between 0ppm and 10ppm.
my tap water is already 2ppm, so a test between 0ppm and 2.5ppm is simply too narrow for any practical fish tank use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
I would not get a phosphate test kit of any kind that did not have a clearly discernible range between 0ppm and 10ppm.
my tap water is already 2ppm, so a test between 0ppm and 2.5ppm is simply too narrow for any practical fish tank use.
I've been thinking about this. I wonder what the kit shows/does when it exceeds 2.5 ppm. Is simply knowing that you are out of the 1 to 2 ppm range because you exceed 2.5 ppm good enough?

It only takes 15 seconds. You just throw it away when you're done. No test tube to clean up.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
Is simply knowing that you are out of the 1 to 2 ppm range because you exceed 2.5 ppm good enough?
that may depend on your tap water and tank water quality tendencies. you see I have always suffered from a high phosphate problem, and I rarely get it down to 2ppm. I actually find 0-10 range useful while using my liquid test tube kit. if my phosphates are 2-5ppm I'm happy, if they are 5-10ppm then my tank may need attention soon, and beyond 10ppm reading may require immediate intervention. If they get above 10ppm, I may need to use a phosphate sponge media, as normal tank maintenance just ain't gonna cut it. keep in mind such phosphate spikes don't happen now that I'm more experienced, but back when my tank was cycling, algae infested, and basically running amok, having a wider range test was a godsend. don't be so afraid of liquid test tube test, since once your tank water stabilizes, you'll learn to "feel" how your water quality is from observing your fish, plants, and water. by then most of your test kits will go unused, at least until your tank has an unexplained crisis, or you establish yet another new tank.

to summarize, just knowing you are above 2.5ppm is not enough, since you won't know by how much and how immediately you will need to rectify your above range phosphate condition.

Last edited by spypet; 02-02-2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: top range adjustment
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I found 9 different Phosphate test kit and looked up their testing range.

D-D/Merck ----- 0.00 -- 0.14 ppm
Lamotte ------- 0.00 -- 2.00 ppm
Salifert -------- 0.01 -- 2.00 ppm
Lamotte Strips - 0.00 -- 2.50 ppm
Seachem ------ 0.00 -- 3.00 ppm
Red Sea ------- 0.00 -- 3.00 ppm
Tunze --------- 0.25 -- 3.00 ppm
Hagen --------- 0.00 -- 5.00 ppm
Aquarium Pharm 0.00 -- 10.00 ppm

This is interesting:
- 6 of the 9 test kits measured from 0.00 to 3.00 ppm
- 1 was supersensitive 0.00 to 0.14 ppm
- 1 had a moderate range 0.00 to 5.00 ppm
- 1 had a wide range 0.00 to 10.00 ppm

Last edited by Left C; 02-02-2007 at 09:00 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode