easy dosing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
easy dosing?

hey all, i have a 20g long tank with a 65 w power compact and pressurized co2... i'm running a ph of 6.8, and not currently using ferts at all. my plants do fine, but i'd like to be able to keep rotala magenta and so forth. is there an easy way to dose? is there a greg watson or something like that who makes a combined dry or wet dose that i can easily do? i'd rather not get into all the measuring spoons and bottles of ferts if i can avoid it... can i? i know i'm asking for the easy way out, so take it easy on me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:18 AM

If you don't want to get into mixing dry ferts then just use Flourish or something similar. On a 20 Gallon the cost may not be so prohibitive.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Flourish is just a trace mixture. You still need nitrates, phosphates and potassium even if you dose Flourish. It is absurdly easy to dose fertilizers, so there is no point in trying to avoid it. It takes a couple of days to get into the swing of doing it, then it becomes just about automatic.

Hoppy

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 03:13 AM

PTrader: (70/99%)
If you are in the habit of feeding the fish, you can get in the habit of dosing ferts. Here is the link to get your ferts. Aquarium Plants, Aquatic Plants, Planted Aquariums, and Aquarium Plant Fertilizer
Buy the individual ferts, N,P,K and a trace mix
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

haha. damnit, i can't avoid it! ok don't yell at me again, i ordered some ada ferts, 'cause they're easy. we'll see what happens. i'd actually rather do a dry mix (much cheaper) but if someone just made a micro mix and a macro mix, i could easily dose that.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Hi Logan,

Dosing, especially dry ferts, does seem intimidating at first, but as Hoppy said--it just takes a minute to get used to it. The hard part comes in trying to determine what Your tank needs--How much and How often. EI can be a big help with that. Over time You'll gain more knowledge and understanding and be able to customize your dosing to your tank.

I don't dose any ferts dry. Most people do though. I use Flourish and (TMG some now) for traces. I make up 1g jugs of N, P, and K. I sat down with the fertilator and determined how much of each Macro to add to each 1g jug to give me: 1ml/gal of tank water=Xppm. In other words, I add 20 grams of P to 1gal (3875ml) of water and that mix gives me 1ppm of P/gal of tank water.

When I dose my tanks, if I want to add 1ppm of P then I dose 55ml for a 55g tank, 29ml for a 29g tank, 110ml for my 110g system, etc. I have a graduated beaker that I use and individual stackable cups for each tank and I only dose 2x/wk. I can dose 7 tanks in under 10 minutes this way.

I just grab the jugs, trace, cups and beaker, spread out the cups and start measuring the first macro--do all the cups and move on to the next macro, then the last one. I add trace from the bottle at about 1/2-1x dose and its done. Stack the cups back up, put away the jugs, trace, beaker and cups, and then I'm done.

Each jug has the amount of Macro written on it with permanent marker, so making new batches is a breeze.

My jugs are made up so:

Nitrates=1ml/gal of tank water=10ppm
Phosphate=1ml/gal of tank water=1ppm
Potassium=1ml/gal of tank water=13.5ppm

Personally, I don't see how the ADA ferts are going to help You through the learning curve at all. If anything I think it will just postpone what You are going to need to sort out anyway. And Cost You a lot more $$$ unnecessarily. But that's Your choice to make.

No one can tell You exactly what Your tank is going to need--not even ADA. So, one way or another--Your are going to have to determine this Yourself. Its really not a big deal--but it can be very intimidating at first.

I can expound on the way I do things, or You can get plenty of help from threads like this sticky:

Dosing Regime's

And Many people here will help You get this sorted out. So, I would have to suggest: Take the time to start understanding the dry dosing while You are using up the ADA stuff.

Buying the ADA stuff is really just an illusion to help You avoid the unavoidable...In the end: You are still going to have to determine what Your Tank needs and how often-regardless of which product you use.....

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode