Some questions about EI - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (39/100%)
Some questions about EI

I have followed EI dose for couple months. The plant seems like it. However, I found some problems recently. There are some black on the leaves(BBA?). There is green algae on glass. Yesterday, I tested my NO3 and PO4. It is very high! NO3 about 60ppm and P about 10ppm. I am not sure if there is some problem of my test kit. But I used this test kit for a while. It never read N and P such high. I use Tek 4x55w on my 100 gal tank. pressurized CO2. heavily planted.

100G CO2 260W

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you follow the EI dosing amounts and do 50% water changes every week, you can't build up that much nitrate or phosphate. I'm assuming your tap water is not abnormally high in either one. So, either you are dosing more than EI recommendation or the test kits aren't accurate, which can be verified by calibrating them.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, I followed EI dosing strictly and do 50% water changes every week. I dose 3/4 tsb K2NO3, 1/4 K2SO4 tsb and 1/4 tsb KHPO4, 1/8 micro 3 times a week to 100 gal. My filteration is good I think. I use 2 Eheim 2217 for 100 gal tank. My tap water is normal. I added 10ml prime to get rid of NO, NO2. As long as there is no sign of problem, I won't measure these number. However, I do see some problems. There is something like staghorn apprear. Also some hard black film covers some of leaves. I doubt it is BBA. But I kept my CO2 level arround 30ppm.. 4-5 GH, 6.6 to 6.8ph. I just can't see where the problem is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you follow the EI dosing amounts and do 50% water changes every week, you can't build up that much nitrate or phosphate. I'm assuming your tap water is not abnormally high in either one. So, either you are dosing more than EI recommendation or the test kits aren't accurate, which can be verified by calibrating them.

100G CO2 260W

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Even if you don't believe you cannot rise above 2x the weekly dosing, you can always do larger water changes every month say to flush out everything.

So that will lower things down and you can dose a little less also.
It's not written in stone nor was even meant to be.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
if your leaves edges and stems are turning black and it's not algae, it's overdosing on Nitrogen. I've had it happen. The leave will eventually die. this fits with your nitrate being over 60ppm... do water changes and hold back on the dosing for a while.

It depends on what and how much plants you have too... maybe the plants can't take up the amount of nitrogen you're puting into your tank. find the balance that fits your tank. That EI dosing thing is only a recommendation/guide, not rule of law.

nice tank btw.. no algae problem?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have quite a lot of java fern and Elatine trianda. I believe that they are always Nitrate hungry. I will stop EI for a week to see what it does. Thank you for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
if your leaves edges and stems are turning black and it's not algae, it's overdosing on Nitrogen. I've had it happen. The leave will eventually die. this fits with your nitrate being over 60ppm... do water changes and hold back on the dosing for a while.

It depends on what and how much plants you have too... maybe the plants can't take up the amount of nitrogen you're puting into your tank. find the balance that fits your tank. That EI dosing thing is only a recommendation/guide, not rule of law.

nice tank btw.. no algae problem?

100G CO2 260W

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode