Lowering kh with peat. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Question Lowering kh with peat.

I've been thinking of lowering the kh in my tank from 5.6 degrees to 2 or 3 degrees by using peat in the filter. How much peat would I need to use, and will the peat produce tannins in the water?

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Nevermind, found my answer.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 08:46 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
share it with us

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

According to what I read, there really is no way to tell how much the peat will affect the water. Even if you use the same amount and same kind of peat each time, it will still affect the kh and ph at a different rate.It also WILL stain the water with tannins. At least that's what I read.

Filstar pimp #53

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
If You don't want the Tannins staining your water then you can try Seachem's Acid Buffer. I've used it and it works fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
aren't you doing a SA tank? tanin would be a good look.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No not at all. I just wanted to reduce the kh to see what positive effects I could get out of the plants form it. I've read on another thread that purigen would help with it as well as a diatom filter. I use purigen, but don't want to have to recharge it often, and I'm not gonna purchase a diatom. I could use ro water, but that's too much a hassle also.

Filstar pimp #53

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Then Seachem's Acid Buffer would probably be Your best bet. They recommend that its used with their Alkaline Buffer but I haven't and plenty of other folks don't either.

But as You already know: Purigen removes Tannins and Humic Acids, so using it with peat is like shooting Yourself in the foot.

How big is the tank? 40g? Distilled water from the store is reasonable on a small tank.....

HTH

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah so, buying bottled water is a no go. Oh well.

Filstar pimp #53

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
doesn't peat lower gh rather than kh?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode