Water Hardness/pH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Water Hardness/pH

I want to start by saying I am getting all SA fish for my 10g. So the fish are:

Xiphophorus maculatus(Platy,already owned)-5.8-8.5 pH, medium-hard water
Paracheirodon innesi(Neon Tetra, going to buy)-5-7.5 pH, soft-medium water
Corydoras aeneus(Albino/Bronze Cory Cat, going to buy)-5.8-7 pH, soft-medium hard water

I want to get an average 5.8 pH with medium water hardness. What is the best way to effectively do this? I want it to be as natural as possible(minus plants lol) so any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
driftwood will help lower the ph naturally in a tank... and some put peat moss in the filter or nylon mesh and let it hang in the tank... oh, some put it under the gravel too.
and 5.8 is pretty low... i'd stick with 6.5 - 7
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Well I was researching and in the wild they can handle at least 5.8 pH. But 6.5 might seem safer.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think the minimum pH would be 6 because my plants would appreciate it alot more and it is in my range. I can get peat most likely. I heard you should never use 'new' peat. What does that mean?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Injecting CO2 would go a long way towards dropping the pH to where you think you want it. But, it doesn't really matter to the fish if the pH is 6.6 or 5.6. Keeping the KH and GH low will be more likely to suit the fish than a low pH which just follows the KH down. For that you can use DI or distilled water mixed with your tap water.

Hoppy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

What is Distilled water? By adding distilled water the KH(hardness/alkalinity) lowers I presume. CO2 lowers pH? How drastic? I dont want a major change in water specs so soon because I dont want my fish to go into shock.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
What are Your starting water parameters? Out of the Tap.....

The harder the water--the harder its going to be to get it were you want it....

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:17 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
About ph under 6

The ideal ph for the nutrient absorption is around 6 to 7. Going out of these range will cause difficulty for certain nutrients to be absorb.

ex: Phosporus that have around 100% of absorption at 6.5 ph drop at only 25 % under 6

Fe under 6 is absorb at 100% and go in a falling curve at higher ph, going to around 65 % at PH 7 to 0 % at ph 9

another thing to know is that low ph can harm the biological filter.

Quote:
Secondly, nitrifying bacteria are very sensitive to pH as shown in Figure 3. Nitrosomonas has an optimal pH between approximately 7.0 and 8.0, and the optimum pH range for Nitrobacter is approximately 7.5 to 8.0.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode