Co2 and size of tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 and size of tank

Does the size of the aquarium have any bearing on the amount of Co2 that should be used, or can the amount of plants affect the decision. Or do you use the same amount of Co2 whatever. I am new to the addition of Co2 into my aquarium, and i am about to add Co2 injection via a pressurized system, so any advice would be more than welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourney View Post
Does the size of the aquarium have any bearing on the amount of Co2 that should be used, or can the amount of plants affect the decision. Or do you use the same amount of Co2 whatever. I am new to the addition of Co2 into my aquarium, and i am about to add Co2 injection via a pressurized system, so any advice would be more than welcome.
Indeed it is both… the volume of water and the plant density or loading. The more water the more Co2 needed to get the Co2 level to 20-30 ppm. The more plants the more absorption of the Co2. For a 100gal aquarium, I have a 10lb bottle I use for my planted discus tank. Based on what I am seeing in so far as use, it should last about 6 months. Other variables include surface area and the use of air stones. During the day the plants should provide more than enough O2 and no air stones should be running. Sumps, depending on how they are implemented can also increase Co2 losses. I have found that my sump hasn’t been too bad on my Co2 demands. If you are going to keep it simple (no pH contoller) then you should start with at least a Co2 indicator so that you and get the right bubble count during the day. There are a lot of great threads on this forum on this subject. Go to Rex's web page. It's full of great recommendations.

Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks

Welcome to the forum!!!

What is the size of your tank and how many plants are in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

I would post a picture of my setup, but i can't figure out how to do it!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Actually i don't think i'm allowed to!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourney View Post
Actually i don't think i'm allowed to!
You are allowed but you need to refer to the URL that you are hosting the picture at. Go here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...ion-guide.html and that should help get you started. Otherwise you can become a paying member and that will allow you to post pics as well.

JT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
you can use Free Image and Video Hosting - Photo Image Hosting Site : Photobucket.com or TinyPic Video and Photo Sharing to host your pictures

- Fishlover
My Tanks :
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

My tank size is 180L/40gals it is a Juwel Rio 180. I will soon be using a Fluval 205 external filter and an Aquaponics Co2 kit. I have used fertilizer tablets that you push into the gravel, and also a liquid fertilizer once a week. I'll post some pictures as soon as i can, i think i might join as a paying member, seems well worth it with all the good advice i've had so far in the last week.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The critical parameter is the light intensity. If you have low level lighting you don't really need CO2, although it helps. But, if the light intensity is high, you have to use CO2 to avoid algae problems and to get the plants to grow as fast as the light allows. Fertilizing needs are different with different light levels too. I know you are underfertilizing if you have over 90 watts or so light on that tank.

Hoppy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

I only have two 30w flourescent tubes in this tank. Is that enough? The tank dimensions are 100cmx50cmx40cm.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:28 AM

By my estimation your tank is about 50-55 Gallons. You are running a total of 60 Watts which barely gives you over 1 WPG. Way too low. Get it up to at least 2 WPG and you will expand what you can grow by tenfold.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode