Raising KH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Raising KH

I've been thinking about this for a little while now and recently JenthePlantGeek hit home with something she said in another thread about my PH being quite low. At that time it was around 6.9. My PH generally swings from 7.5 in the morning (I turn off my CO2 at night) to about 6.9-7.1 in the evening. My KH is always at 6. This gives me a CO2 reading of anywhere from 7 ppm in the morning to 20+ ppm in the evening.

What I've been thinking of doing is adding baking soda to my 108 gallon tank to raise the KH to 7 or preferrably 8. This should allow me to lower my BPS from 4 to 2 while keeping my PH above 7 at all times and maintaining a satisfactory CO2 level. Granted, I would have to run my CO2 at night then but whether I'm running 4 BPS for 12 hours or 2 BPS for 24 hours it equals the same amount of CO2 being used.

Here is my question: if I raise my KH by adding baking soda does my CO2 level raise with it as the charts would suggest? I just can't imagine the two (baking soda and CO2) maintain such a close relationship.

My applogies if this is a poor question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
When you raise the kH the pH also rises. Look at the chart. Find the area where there is 2-3 ppm of CO2. That's the normal amount one would find in water. Notice how as the kH goes up so does the pH.

The ONLY thing that adds CO2 to your water is CO2.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A 6.9 pH is not low at all. It is virtually neutral. Low is something below 5 or maybe 5.5. A 6 dKH alkalinity reading is a perfectly good reading. Once you start adding baking soda, shooting for some specific KH, you are trapped into monitoring and adjusting one more parameter to accomplish essentially nothing. I used to do that, but tried just ignoring KH and haven't regretted it at all.

Hoppy

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks,

Can't believe I missed that on the chart. I guess it was a silly question after all. As the saying goes, alls well that ends well, and that will be the end of my thoughts on raising the KH of my tank.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Yeah, and your plants will generally do better with as low of KH as possible. Some add peat to bring down the pH/KH etc.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 04:39 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
when you add co2, i know the ph goes down because co2 is an acid... but does the KH go up?

my KH is always 2 degrees. So when i want to check my CO2, I just check my PH... it's quick and easy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode