Why does STAGNANT water kill fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Why does STAGNANT water kill fish?

I've read what wiki has to say about stagnant water.
Water Stagnation

So there are some fish that live in stagnant water, most commonly known is the betta I'd assume.

So.. I've read in a lot of posts in various forums, including here, that stagnant water will kill fish.. but I've yet to see an explanation to why that is. I ask because I have a fish tank with water sitting still. I thought that's what aged water is.. but no.. that's just stagnant water hah. So I'm wondering why my fish will die if I put them in there and if I can just put a power head in there or something to get the water moving to make it fish safe again. Or will this only function as a betta tank till I change the water.

Any input appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
uhhh bettas can live in stagnant water but thats only because the breathe air from the surface. I think stagnant is way different then black water though. Black water is caused by dying leaves and organisms in the water. Stagnant means that the water isn't moving but you can create a tank where theres no water movement and you don't do water changes but you have lots of plants and top off your tank when water evaporates. Plus you didn't do anything to the water right ? its basically clean and free of bacteria and you did remove the chlorine and chloramine right? I would still start with new water lol .

- Fishlover
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Tanks :
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:23 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've always thought of stagnant water as a small body of water with no circulation of any kind, basically still water. No current or agitation, no oxygen. No oxygen, fish die. When you age water, you are supposed to use water pumps or powerheads to keep the water moving.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

hmmm hmmm hmmm. well now i know. but yes, the water has been sitting perfectly still. clean as when it left the faucet. but i guess i'll drain it and refill it... 50 gallons.. uggh. i need to get a python or something. thanks for the help
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm_Rider View Post
hmmm hmmm hmmm. well now i know. but yes, the water has been sitting perfectly still. clean as when it left the faucet. but i guess i'll drain it and refill it... 50 gallons.. uggh. i need to get a python or something. thanks for the help
You can always try the smell test. If it smells like swamp you need to do large WC and circulate.

Moved to Tucson.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Gouramis are also able to live in stagnant water because they're labryinth fishes that have a special lung-like organ that allows them to breathe at the surface. Like others have said, one major contributing factor is the lack of agitation and inflow of oxygen that kill the fish.

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm_Rider View Post
So.. I've read in a lot of posts in various forums, including here, that stagnant water will kill fish.. but I've yet to see an explanation to why that is.
Stagnant water has little to no dissolved oxygen.

Fish do not breath water. They breath oxygen which is dissolved in the water. If the water has little to no dissolved oxygen, they suffocate.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Another problem with tropical fish kept in temperate climates in stagnant (or insufficiently circulating) water is that cold water is heavier than warm water, and collects on the bottom. The temp differences can be substantial, more so in taller tanks.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the different answers! Someone told me yesterday that stagnant water has no bacterial change. i'm guessing that would lead to a buildup of ammonia and give me that smell BlueRam mentioned.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 05:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

There's plenty of bacteria in stagnant water, but it's what's called anaerobic bacteria. "Anaerobic" means not using oxygen, and that's actually a misnomer. Anaerobic bacteria does need oxygen. But it has the ability to take oxygen from nitrate (NO3) and sulfate (SO4). Nitrate reduction isn't a problem, as the only by product is nitrogen gas. But sulfate reduction produces hydrogen sulfide (H2S), which smells like rotten eggs and can be toxic to fish at high enough levels.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode