My PH is 6.0 (or lower) and I want to raise it.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (22/100%)
Question My PH is 6.0 (or lower) and I want to raise it....

OK. I have a 10 gallon tank and my PH is 6.0, it could be lower because my tester only goes down to 6.0. I have many cherry shrimp in the tank but they rarely come out and I think it has to do with the PH.

I completely stopped DIY CO2 but it didn't make any difference at all. I have a large piece of driftwood in the tank that has been there for a while so maybe that is causing the low PH, I don't know. I also use purigen to help clear up the water, especially because of the tannins released by the driftwood.

The substrate is ADA Amazonia which also lowers the PH.

Is there anything I can do to safely raise the ph without affecting the plants or shrimp? I need to get a GH/KH tester as well.

-Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 04:47 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Why Do You Want To Raise It?
My Cherries are all over, and I have been at pH of 6 for a year.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

I don't understand why they are always hiding.... Even when I put an algae wafer in they don't come out. I have low nitrates and do not feed anything with copper either. I just dont get it. I dose iron though.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I have read they will do better with a higher pH. They need GH and calcium source for their exoskeleton, I believe. If you had a can filter, I would put crushed coral in there. But probably a foam filter, so about all you can do is put in some crushed coral in the tank, or dose baking soda for KH and mg. and calcium for GH such as Seachem's Equilibrium. Or if you have harder water like many do in Florida, more water changes.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Well I added some Seachem Neutral Regulator to the tank last night and it raised the PH to 7.0 like it was supposed to. I checked the PH this morning at it was back to 6.0. I re-added some Neutral Regulator again like it suggests to get to 7.0.

Has anyone used Neutral Regulator?

-Ryan
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Maybe consider using a different inert substrate. A lot of the buffers will "chase the dragon" resulting in temporary changes, which revert back. Something like crushed coral which continually buffers in a canister filter could help, but it would be easiest to use a little harder or at least an inert substrate like flourite, or if you have soft water, Seachem's Onxy Sand.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

I will try the neutral regulator for a little bit and if it is futile then I will get some crushed coral.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You do realize that by adding the chemicals to the tank and having the pH drop back down that you are raising the TDS to levels that may affect the shrimp?

There is something in your tank that is leaching acids of some sort. Find it, remove it, problem solved.

I see two things that are lowering the pH. The driftwood and the substrate. Adding a buffer to raise the pH while these two items are in the tank is about as effective as pissing on a gasoline fire.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

That is the problem, I don't want to remove the driftwood or ADA AS. Removing those two will render my entire aquascape useless.

I suppose the only other solution is to just get a shrimp only tank up and running...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
PH is 6.0 (or lower) and I want to raise it....

Why do You want to raise Your pH? If its not affecting Your shrimp or plants--don't worry about it. Plants seem to grow better at softer lower pH water. If the shrimp are not dying off or showing signs of stress--I wouldn't worry about it and be thankful for it.

The ADA Aquasoil lowers pH. It has probably been chewing away at your Kh. Add some baking soda (1 tsp/~53gals raises Kh ~1 degree) and test Your Kh. Get it up to about Kh 4 and then just watch and see if there are any problems.

Quote:
Why do You want to raise Your pH?
I've seen this question asked many, many times--and I've finally come to understand the value of asking this question.

I currently have 8 setups. In 2 setups I set the pH with C02. The other setups? I don't worry about pH at all--even knowing that its too high from my rock hard tap water.

Get Your Kh up to 4 and keep an eye on it. pH isn't as important as people USED to think......

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode