Opinions wanted for ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
Send a message via MSN to blueguppygirl
Opinions wanted for ferts

I've done a lot of research on different ferts and still can't make up my mind. I thought that before I decide I would ask what works for you? Please post type, size, price, but most of all... What's your opinion on it? Anybody can read an advertisement or a bottle. I thought this might be more helpful to know others personal experiences with them.
Thank you so much for reading this. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Spread the word...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Support Wilma ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sometimes you get shown the light in the darkest of places if you look at it right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I dose dry compounds...I would rather pay for the pure stuff than buy a bunch of water and premade stuff with preservatives and such.

I buy them all pure from Aquarium Plants, Aquatic Plants, Planted Aquariums, and Aquarium Plant Fertilizer very cheap and great customer service~
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
This is what I use and recommend:

For macro ferts, buy:

2 pounds KNO3
1 pound KH2PO4
1 pound K2SO4

$9.93 + shipping for several years' supply from Dry Fertilizers

Get a set of small measuring spoons (dash, pinch, and smidgen) for 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32 tsp measurements from most any kitchen store.

I use Flouish and Flourish Iron for micro ferts. Start with a 500ml bottle of Flourish and 250ml bottle of Flourish Iron. These can be bought from any online aquarium retailer such as Big Al's or Drs. Foster & Smith.

If using high light and CO2, dose according to this thread:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-regimes_.html

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
or stop by your local garden store.. they have all this for $5 a bag that'll last you your life. No shipping & handling charge
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You are lucky mistergreen. I live in a huge gardening area and there is not a single store that carries bags of KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4. Not to mention finding a decent trace formula.

I would add one thing to what turbowagon posted. Also get a pound of Plantex CSM+B.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Dry ferts are great and I use them almost exclusively, but if you'd rather not get out the measuring spoons, then I recommend Seachem products. Their line of ferts is great. The Seachem Flourish Excel is a very very good product, useful for keeping algae at bay and giving your plants a carbon boost, and they have separate macros and micros so you can easily tweek your dosing. Great stuff.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
You are lucky mistergreen. I live in a huge gardening area and there is not a single store that carries bags of KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4. Not to mention finding a decent trace formula.
yeah, i'm kinda lucky... it's the only garden store that carries it in the whole city and it's only 5 miles from my place... The store is closed for the winter but will be up and running in the spring.

and i gotta check out this seachem excel. I can't find it anywhere. I guess i'll have to order it online.

ps.. i found an online source here in the states
Fertilizers - eLawnGarden.com

Hi-Yield is the brand that I purchase here in town.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
i heard if you double or triple dose the flourish excel a couple of times that you can zap algae.
BUT, if i do that will it harm my large snails? i have Bridgesii in there? has anyone with snails done that?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I haven't done it in my brig tanks, but I've never seen an ill effect on MTS or ramshorns or pond snails from the Excel, even in cases of very large overdose. It has, however, melted my Valisneria and I do know it'll do the same to Anacharis and possibly other fine-membraned plants.

(If you plan on doing the overdose, make sure you read the label. There is an "initial or after large water changes" dose and a daily dose. You'll want to double the DAILY dose, not the initial dose.)

I <3 Eheim #195
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Algae Grower

ok, thanks Jen
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 PM

I don't have snails, but excel never has bothered them, i started back up with my ferts and excel (cuz i haven't had a chance to buy any for the longest time) and i am noticing a super quick recovery of my plants, and little to no algae!, that was the main problem i was having.

So even if you do have co2 gas injections, excel is still a good thing, it's a more readily availible form.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
or stop by your local garden store.. they have all this for $5 a bag that'll last you your life. No shipping & handling charge
you mean 1 bag that contains everything??
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
I would get and modestly dose;
Plantex CSM+B
Potassium Sulfate
Seachem Equilibrium
Seachem Flourish Excel liquid
Co2 gas
good Marine salt (not for scaleless fish)

I would first test your tank water for;
GH & KH, Nitrate, Phosphate

if you want to raise any of those, then get;
GH - Magnesium Sulfate (epsom salt)
KH - Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
Nitrate - KNO3
Phosphate - KH2PO4

specialty supplements;
TUMS calcium carbonate - for shellfish (shrimp, crayfish, crabs, snails)
Kent Iodine liquid - for shellfish (shrimp, crayfish, crabs)

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

West, probably not.

Potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate, mono-potassium phosphate, etc. are all pretty common fert components and would most likely be sold separately.

KNO3 is commonly sold as stump remover.

I <3 Eheim #195
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:36 PM

wow prices look a lot better than the seachem products i'm using. but, they wouldn't be too convenient, especially with a 16 month old child to hide stuff from.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode