seachem phosphate test kit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
seachem phosphate test kit

i have this test kit and need to know some questions cuz once again i'm having algae probs.

the phospate color chart, used to match the color of the water sample to determine the amount of phospate in the sample, has a range of 0.0 to 3.0 - is this number range used to determine ppm or mg/L????????

also, i just tested my water supply, reference kit, and tank (which really wouldn't have matter cuz i just did my big weekly water change), all of the results were somewhere between .8 and 1.0.
Does this give any clue why the BG algae is hitting me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
ppm and mg/L are the same for our purposes (1L = 1000g for water) - so yes to both.

0.8 to 1.0 ppm phosphate should not cause any problems if all the other nutrients are adequate.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
don't be alarmed that your tap water may have up to 2ppm phosphates.
water authorities may add phosphate to protect pipe joints from corroding.

algae problems occur from too much light and/or nitrates, not phosphates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
I use this kit too. It's a little sensitive.

I usually do two tests of the same water each time that I test it. If they're different colors, I'll do three tests to check it out further.

Blue green algae can be caused by poor water movement.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 03:32 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
BGA is caused by low NO3 and low water movement....not PO4
IMO if you don't have a LaMotte PO4 kit, you will not have any idea what it is because all of the other home tests are garbage...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

so nitrates being too low are my problem, i have seachem nitrogen, which i don't really use, should i use it more?

if you are correct about my nitrates being too low, maybe it's because I do 75 pct water changes, do i need to tone down on water changes??
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

anyone there?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 02:08 AM
Banned

To get a better idea about your water parameters; try this Smart2 Colorimeter. You'll be tossing all your other test kits. It eliminates human error from color interpretation. LaMotte SMART Colorimeter Here's the reagents: Aluminum, Fresh 50
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west9491 View Post
so nitrates being too low are my problem, i have seachem nitrogen, which i don't really use, should i use it more?

if you are correct about my nitrates being too low, maybe it's because I do 75 pct water changes, do i need to tone down on water changes??
I dose NO3 2 times a week, so if you say "i don't really use it" chances are, you are way too low. 75% changes with no NO3....I think we have your problem. I wouldn't focus so much on your PO4 that is for sure.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
To get a better idea about your water parameters; try this Smart2 Colorimeter. You'll be tossing all your other test kits. It eliminates human error from color interpretation. LaMotte SMART Colorimeter Here's the reagents: Aluminum, Fresh 50
I love this thing too, but many will not want to spend 800 bucks on something like this. That is why we use Estimative Index for dosing..
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby View Post
I love this thing too, but many will not want to spend 800 bucks on something like this. That is why we use Estimative Index for dosing..
That's what we use in some of the chemisty, zoology and biology labs at the college here. It is great.

There's some folks not using the EI yet and/or want to get a handle on their tap water and aquarium water parameters. They might not need to know the "exact" amount but a ball park idea is close enough. That takes us back to the EI concept and idea. The EI is a "ball park" method for dosing that works quite well but you do need to get a handle on your incoming water to start using it well.

But, in your other remark, I disagree somewhat:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby View Post
...IMO if you don't have a LaMotte PO4 kit, you will not have any idea what it is because all of the other home tests are garbage...
Water Testing Kits: Aquaculture & Fish Farming Products - © LaMotte Company That's the Lamotte PO4 kit that you mentioned. It uses a Comparator with Axial Reader. I know that many people have trouble using it.

I see nothing wrong with using Seachem's test kits for phosphate and nitrite/nitrate. They're better than many out there. The do come with a reference solution to check the accuracy. These tests are quick and easy. There's no need for someone to spend mega bucks or even a lot of money on Lamotte's regular test kits just to get an idea where they are. I have some of Lamotte's kits too but, for general usage these Seachem kits are fine IMO.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I like the Seachem phosphate test too. I don't know how accurate it really is, but upping my dose to a bit over 2ppm sure knocked back some GSA, and I used the test to arrive at a starting point. Another thing one can do is to try to get your tap water tested or get a local water bureau report.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode