High Phosphate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
High Phosphate

how do i lower Phosphate?... i keep doing water changes and it stays the same at 2.0 ppm. The Nitrates have gone into perfect params at 8 ppm.

The plants are doing good.. the fish are fine but I get patches of Blue-green algae (cyanobacteria)... No outbreaks but I'd like to lower the phosphate because i think that's what's fueling the BGA.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 03:34 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
PO4 has nothing to do with BGA.. BGA usually blooms when NO3 is low and/or dead spots in circulation/water movement and CO2 is sporatic.
How do you know your PO4 is high? What are you using to test it? What you call high really isn't, but again I have to ask what you are using to test for it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 03:47 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
personally, I think 2ppm phosphates is already very low.
you should test your tap water as it may be 2ppm already.
I had success lowering my phosphates from over 10ppm
to 2ppm using the product discussed on my forum thread.

Tropical Resources - View topic - Magnavore PRA PhosLock filter media

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Unless your tap water is really high in phosphates there is no reason to do anything except say thank you when you find phosphates in the tap water. That just saves you the trouble of dosing it for one dosing period. Really high means something like 7 ppm or more, maybe even 10 ppm. And, you need to very carefully calibrate your test kit if you are going to use it to determine how much phosphate you have. That takes some effort.

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

I use the 'aquarium pharmaceutical inc' test kits... they're the most accurate kits I can get.

I always thought < 1 ppm PO4 was the ideal.. What's the ideal for a planted aquarium?

my tap tested 0ppm... so i'm guessing my fish and the fish food are contibuting to the 2.0 ppm.

i dose my tank but only with MgSO4 & KO2 and trace elements. My tank get 2.5watts/gallon and there are lots of currents. And I have DYI co2. The BGA grows in even swift currents...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

my tank follows the params here
https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...lanted-Tank/1/

except the my PO4 is 2ppm instead of 1ppm...
that's why i assumed the PO4 was high.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode