Low Kh Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low Kh Question

Hey guys, i am a little confused. I have just hooked up a diy yeast injected co2 reactor. I tested my ph and i got a reading between 6.8-7.0. Then i tested my Kh and it turned yellow after 1-2 drops without turning blue first. Which means as of now i have about 1dkh? I was confused on why my water does not turn blue first before it turns yellow. So.... I tested my tap water, and out of the tap i get 2 dkh. When i test this my water turns blue first, then yellow as it should.
I am also currently treating for ich in my tank and am wondering if the malachite green treatment could be affecting my kh testing any.

Using the calculator i have about 4.8 PPM of co2 in my tank right now. I will be adding another co2 reactor.

Why does my tank have a lower degree of kh than my tap water? Shouldnt adding any amount of co2 make my kh increase? How come the test makes the tap water turn blue then yellow, but not the tank water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm curious about this too, as I'm having practically the same problem as you. My tap water has a pH of 7.0, with a kH of 3 degrees. The pH in the tank is 6.2, with a nonexistent kH as far as I can tell. I even tried doubling the kit to 10 ml, and it would appear I don't even have .5 kH. I understand why the pH is lower in the tank, because I'm using Malaysian driftwood and ADA Aquasoil, which are both supposed to lower the pH. I wanted this effect because I want to keep cardinal tetras and a few other Amazonian fish. But, I'm concerned about the apparent lack of kH. I'm using a Hagen Natural Plant system for CO2. So far, it hasn't effected the pH at all, and the kH is still nonexistent. I'd like to know if I should be concerned, or what I should do about this problem. I thought about adding baking soda to raise the kH, but I've heard that won't effect the CO2 levels at all. It looks like we both need some advice on this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
The CO2 is lowering the KH, probably. But you should be fine with a low KH and the plants will do great with a lower KH. Keep monitoring. AS will definately lower KH/pH and GH a little too.

Before I found out how nice low KH is for plants, I was adding crushed coral to my canister filters (or baking soda to change water) to replenish my KH - which is depleted by injecting CO2.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
Do plant enjoy low GH?

Isn't it possible to get a Ca and Mg deficiency with low GH? If low KH and GH is so great, why not use pure RO water? I ask because i have a plant-only tank.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikeapill View Post
Do plant enjoy low GH?

Isn't it possible to get a Ca and Mg deficiency with low GH? If low KH and GH is so great, why not use pure RO water? I ask because i have a plant-only tank.
Craig/Wolfennxx would reply 'Exactly!' to that question.
Check out this thread on APC Plant Leaves Curling - Lack of Specific Ferts? - Aquatic Plant Central- aquascaping...a living art

It gets pretty interesting after the first page.
I'm on my second week of not adding any Ca/Mg at weekend waterchanges. Too soon to show any real difference. But Wolfennxx grows the best plants I've seen around this forums so I'm thinking he must be right about this one.
Rafo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We made it !!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikeapill View Post
Do plant enjoy low GH?

Most folks these days suggest a GH of at least 5-6, even if you have a 1-2 KH. And you can have either a calcium or mg deficiency or both. I use to dose mg and cal. to my near zero GH water, until we added a conditioner in our well house to nuetralize the acidity.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you don't change your water, the KH will shift downwards over time as the nitric acid formed by the nitrification process eats up your KH. Depending on your bioload, the shift can be slow or fast. Fast is not good. Your pH can drop very low, very fast if the KH is low creating the so called "crash" that people talk about.

If you change your water frequently, your KH will be close to the KH of your tap water, and all will be well.

Low KH (or no KH) is not a problem with a light bioload, as the pH will not drop out of the range at which nitrifying bacteria can live very fast, and water changes once a week can suffice. If you have a high bioload, however, low KH can be a real pain.

1 tsp of baking soda will raise about 30 gallons of water about 1 degree KH.

It will also raise your pH, accordingly.

You can buffer your KH this way, but frequent water changes are a better idea.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode