Are phosphates just as important? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are phosphates just as important?

I have pressurized co2, dose csm+b, K, and nitrates, and have 2 wpg of light(55 gallon, roughly 130 watts of overdriven fl). 40% WC weekly. I still cannot seem to get my plants to grow quicker than algae.

I certainly get the impression I am limited by something, and I know I'm not sharing much with you as far as the 'details' go, but the only major component seems to be phosphates. -The one thing I didn't order from Greg Watson. Is fish waste, and flake food sufficient?

I have a stalk of moneywort for example, as soon as a new sprout of leaves grows, there's algae on the next set of leaves below..... arrrgggh!!! My swords throw out tons of leaves, but none exceed 5 inches, have some leaf curl on my various crypts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
You need the Phosphate, either KH2P04 or Fleet and you will see improvement,
If your mom bakes a cake and leaves out one or two ingredient's, what do you think happens?

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Sure the answer seems obvious, but when we are talking only 1, 2 maybe 3 ppm of phosphate, it could easily confuse somebody into thinking that this 'macro' fert - may exist in sufficient quantities - or at least my error in thinking. Since a moderate fish load can provide sufficient nitrate in some conditions at 10x that amount. But, thanks for the reply

BTW, what is 'fleet'?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
Its a butt shower.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

LOL WHAT!?!?!?!? Are you saying I take enema fluid to the tank?!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

OMG it is!!!! I just googled it!!! It's sodium phosphate!!! lOL! This is too good. My wife is gonna think I've lost it when I try to fertilize with enema juice!!!! LOL

Best one ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostby View Post
Sure the answer seems obvious, but when we are talking only 1, 2 maybe 3 ppm of phosphate, it could easily confuse somebody into thinking that this 'macro' fert - may exist in sufficient quantities - or at least my error in thinking. Since a moderate fish load can provide sufficient nitrate in some conditions at 10x that amount. But, thanks for the reply

BTW, what is 'fleet'?
Just add the Phosphate, the proof is in the pudding... just don't add it to pudding or cakes...

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostby View Post
OMG it is!!!! I just googled it!!! It's sodium phosphate!!! lOL! This is too good. My wife is gonna think I've lost it when I try to fertilize with enema juice!!!! LOL

Best one ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!
The best is picking up the bulk pack and the clerk notices what youre buying... Try convincing someone youre using it for aquarium plants. LOL

I always rinse the "lube" from the cap so it's a clean dropper.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 02:36 AM

PTrader: (70/99%)
The "two pack" of generic fleet works well for dosing Phosphate and is dirt cheap. Remember a little goes a long ways. I use about 2ml on odd days for a 75 gal tank with a 20 gal sump. You can also pick up a quart size carton of epsom salt if you need to raise your GH at the same time you get the fleet. The look on clerk's face is always priceless.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok, i'm packing up my courage, and going to the drugstore! Maybe I could take a friend and have some fun with my shoping list.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Grab the Fleet, some Epsom Salt and Mineral oil, give the clerk a bloated look just before you tell him/her to pull your finger....

Craig

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx View Post
Grab the Fleet, some Epsom Salt and Mineral oil, give the clerk a bloated look just before you tell him/her to pull your finger....

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
LOL. Priceless.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Geez, am I the only Schmuck on this site who didn't know what fleet was! Come on, somebody please.... I wasn't sure if the phosphates came from whatever is in that 'forbidden' box, or the special ingredients after the 'rinse'.

When I was buying CO2, it was akward enough explaning this was for "plants" and you know what they thought then... LOL, then there's stump remover, and enema kits.... i've heard of resourceful, but this hobby really takes the cake. 'wiping tears from my eyes'
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 02:15 AM

PTrader: (70/99%)
OT-but there are many things much less expensive to use off label. For example DE, swimming pool supply stores sell the stuff for about $15-$17 for a 25lb sack. DE you get at the LFS is about $8-$10 a pound . Another thing is Soilmaster from LESCO for substrate $12-$15 for 50lb sack.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode