What to use to test?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
What to use to test?!

I'm in need of a product to test all important water parameters for a planted tank, only issue is, I'm color blind, so thoes chemical water testers dont work for me! Is there anything out there that will give me a readout? I know about the PH test by milwaukee, but is there anyothers for all the rest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Doing without testing all of the parameters may be a blessing for you! It isn't really necessary, and it can lead you to make things worse by adding stuff the tank doesn't really need. In my opinion, if you can test pH, KH and GH you have all of the tests needed. Both the KH and GH tests work by the water changing color rather dramatically, so you might be able to tell that even if you can't tell the actual color. (But, this is just my opinion, and others have disagreed with this philosophy.)

Hoppy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

any recommendations on where to get these tests?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

just ordered it from big als... we'll give it a try and see.. hopefully! haha
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Hoppy...

Got my GH & KH test today, you were right very easy to see the change, its the ones that require you to hold against a color chat that dont work for me.

I wanted to know how these are, and let me know what to do to get them right.
One of my plants is doing great, the others arnt doing a thing!

from the tap
gh 150ppm
kh 75ppm

tank
gh 175ppm
kh 65 ppm

week old fluval 404
75g tank
mild plant
low fish load
dose excel & flourish + plant tabs
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 02:27 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
One...two...TESTING

All my testing stuff come from big Al
All Hagen, not the best in accuracy but I just need an idea from time to time where the things are.

Anyway, when you start on this hobby you want to test all the time. Personally I was going trough those test kits in no time. With experience you will probably test a lot less and when your water changes and dosing will be under control you rarely feel the need for it.

But, the world being that changing place and control being lost to unexpected phenomena testing is always necessary.

Only God dont test... and Im not even sured of this one.

The test you really need:
Drop checker to test Co2>http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...p-checker.html
PH
NO3
PO4
Fe
KH-GH

and I try now to find an accurate Ca test. With this one you cane have an approximation of the magnesium in dissolution
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 03:21 PM

PTrader: (70/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glouglou View Post

The test you really need:
Drop checker to test Co2>DIY Drop Checker - Aquatic Plant Central- aquascaping...a living art
PH
NO3
PO4
Fe
KH-GH

and I try now to find an accurate Ca test. With this one you cane have an approximation of the magnesium in dissolution
Glouglou
1. -Fe? Where do you get an Fe test that is accurate enough to tell you anything? and why would you even need it.

2. -I try now to find an accurate Ca test. With this one you cane have an approximation of the magnesium in dissolution..

Why in the world would you care what "approximation of the magnesium in dissolution" is?

pH, NO3, PO4 are pretty darn hard to read if you are color blind and a drop checker will not tell you anything if you can't tell the color change.

steppin16, ph you can use a meter with a digital read out. You got the KH and GH test to work for you and like Hoppy said, those 3 test will tell you about all you need to know to grow some nice plants. Also it will keep you from chasing the dragon, monkeying around with water parameters to try to get some "perfect" number on a test kit. Dose EI, weekly WC, and give the plants what they need.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:52 AM

Well

I dont really care if they are really accurate until they give you an idea of where you heading.

How on earth you will be able to start a planted aquarium without a general knowledge of the water you will used to fill it.
And the same knowledge about the water you used at water change.
and the accumulation and the disparition of the element used by plants.

I care about magnesium and ca and fe and so, because they are essential to plants and fish and people life.

... and if your are color blind, find afriend to help you with this.

Without these basics informations it will be really hard to have any success and any control. You can look how long you want to your plants you will not be able to manage a complex microsystem with animals and plants, only by luck it will work but I assured you, not for long.

Now lets be serious...

Step one: Have a good knowledge of the type of tank you want (planted, african lake or other)

Step 2: find some place where you can have acces to water that approach closely at possible the type of water from the habitat choose in step one

Step 3: add ro water or add nutrients to that water to match what you need

Remark: remember that evaporation water is pure, meaning without nutrient and most fish tank have tendancy to have some accumulation of nutrient and over time nutrients can become unbalance with the uptake of different elements

Step 4: with good condition and water changes (step 2 and 3)

you will probably enjoy the hobby without to much of the testing part.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:03 AM

By the way

Another way is to find a good company for water testing around your place, they can do that for you and very acuratly. I see some post where people doing just that. Expensive ????? I dont know, I will try to find one for me and post the price.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The whole reason for the EI fertilizing method is so you don't have to worry about testing the water. You can add the calculated amounts of all of the needed nutrients to the water so as to be sure you have enough of each, then once a week you do a 50% water change to get rid of any excess of any of the fertilizers, if you have any. As far as needing to match the water parameters from where the plants originate, that is rarely necessary. People successfully grow even the hard to grow plants in a variety of different waters. The secret with aquatic plants, as with terrestrial plants, is to provide the basic nutrients the plants need, and enough light for them to use the nutrients. It isn't even desireable to try to duplicate the natural conditions for the plants - they struggle in natural conditions and we want them to flourish, not struggle.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode