Dry Ferts Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Dry Ferts Question

Do I need a little digital scale to dose dry ferts correctly? I'm thinking about switching to dry ferts...

Right now I have some minor algae but it's not taking over my tank or anything.

I have purchased the entire sea chem lineup and dose pretty much according to the bottles. For KNO3 I have been using stump remover I mixed into a bottle of water to make dosing easier.

To be honest I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing and every time I look up dosing I have to do a million conversions, but the worst one is always grams to teaspoons, and even then every tank is different... Pretty much as it is now I test for nitrate every couple days and dose accordingly. But I have not been able to find a constant/predictable amount of anything to dose.

I read the dosing sticky but I'm still lost as I don't own a digital scale. I'm assuming everyone dosing dry ferts owns a little scale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 02:17 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Measuring spoons work well, pinch smidge and dash if you have a smaller tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 04:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to xcooperx
you can buy those teaspoon set at Bath and Beyond, Linen and Things or Walmart, But if you want to be accurate on what you want to put on your tank then Gram Scale is for you, you can get one at Ebay

20 Gal. JBJ 2x65watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized Co2, Rhinox 3000 and Aquaclear 50 (Current Tank)
Last Updated: April. 11, 2013
29 Gal. Coralife 130watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized c02,Rhinox 2000 and Xp2 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: Dec. 15, 2006
20L 65watts CF , 100 % Eco-Complete, JBJ Pressurized co2 w/ Rhinox 1000 and Fluval 203 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: October 1, 2006

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 04:29 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcooperx View Post
you can buy those teaspoon set at Bath and Beyond
I use the 1/8 teaspoon from this $6 set every other day (macro & micro ferts)
the 1 teaspoon every week (baking soda & marine salt)
and the 1 tablespoon every month (phosphate sponge media)

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
i follow the dosing sticky by wolfenxXx, so for my 60 gallon I dose 1/2 tsp nitrate, 1/8 tsp phosphate, 1/8 tsp potassium. I just dump the dry ferts directly into the tank while i'm feeding the fish. Easy-peasy.

If you have a small tank than measuring something like 1/32 tsp is a little harder. The first time measure 1/8 tsp, then divide in half for 1/16 and again for 1/32. Once you know what 1/32 tsp looks like, it's easy to quickly dose thereafter. If it's a little off, it doesn't matter since you'll be doing waterchanges anyway.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I find it easier to set up 1-2 weeks worth of ferts at a time. I use old perscription bottles (which i have a million of since my dads kidney transplant) and figure out a daily dose (take the 3x one and multiply it by 3/7). Then each day i just grab a bottle and dump it in when I feed the fish. That way I dont' have to bust out all the ferts and the spoons each day and I don't have to remember if its a macro or micro day. Plus easier if you have someone watching your tank for you

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode