Question about dosing K - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Question about dosing K

I'm just wondering what most of you do for K.
Do you dose Kno3, KH2Po4, Fe, traces and that's it?
Or do you also dose K2So4?
I've been dosing the latter, but am starting to wonder if its even needed after reading some comments that other folks were using KNo3 for all their K dosing. Can you even overdose this if you're doing 50-60% water changes every 5-7 days? I'm just wondering what the majority of people do. Take into consideration that we're talking about a heavily planted tank(mostly stem plants) with high light and plenty of Co2 (3-4 bubbles/sec).

-Ryan

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Well, there's plenty of K+ from KNO3 relative to N, about 4x more than demand would suggest in a limiting situation where N was dosed barely above limiting vaslues.

So even if you had 75% of the total N from the plants from fish weaste, you'ld still be fine with respect to K+ if you add 25%KNO3 for the N for the tank.

Such cases are not possible really without adding so much NH4 that you start to get algae issues in a higher to med light tanks.

Obviously as you reduce the light, you reduce the N demand as you also reduce the growth rate and CO2 demand, thus the plant down regulates N demand and CO2 deamnd in response to light reduction.

This in turn allows more nutrients to come from the fish waste in lower light tanks that where much more common in the past and where many fertilizer routines are based upon and have not factored in the link between light and growth rates of plants sadly.

It may reflect more a belief based approach rather than one based on plant growth and science.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Ok, so it sounds like if I had quite a bit of fish waste
(75% of total N), and I dosed say, 1/4 tsp KNo3 every other day -- I would be ok with my K level. I imagine that its even more exaggerated since I really don't have many fish (3 ottos, 4 rummynose tetras, 2 lamp eye killies), so total N from fish waste in my tank is probably more like 10% or less. If anything, the amount of N in relation to K would be low, right? I wonder if that's what gives some of my plants a yellowish tinge...not enough N.

-Ryan

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
I add K (from no-salt) and KNO3.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode