RO Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
RO Water

Hi all,

I have a 180 Gallon planted tank with Discus.

I have just purchased a RO unit in the hope of helping me to get good pure water in the tank to help prevent Alage and give good water for the Discus.

What I would like to know is how should I prep my RO water?

I have been told by some that I should only use half RO water on my water changes as too much RO water can be bad as it removes all the goodies from the water as well. Also I think there are some mineral salts you can get that help replenish the goddies in to the RO water. If there is what would you all recommend?

Cheers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 03:02 PM

There are two ways to reconstitute RO water which is effectively dead and it cannot sustain life.

1) use commercially available mineral mixes like seachem equilibrium and kent RO Right

2) mix RO water with Tap water treated for chlorine in a ratio that you require (eg if your tap water is GH 10 and you want 5dGH then you should mix one part RO and one part tap water)

I recomend the second as the first one can be very expensive in the long run. You also need less RO than you would if you would go for 1. Remember you will be throwing away almost 5g of water for 1g of RO.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Another way to go is by using -

3) PURE Baking soda and Epsom Salts.

You do not have to worry about treating the tap water for ammonia. I use this method in all of my tanks.

The baking soda will increase the KH and PH and epsom salts will increase the GH. (If I remember correctly)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 01:40 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jastormont View Post
Hi all,

I have a 180 Gallon planted tank with Discus.

I have just purchased a RO unit in the hope of helping me to get good pure water in the tank to help prevent Alage and give good water for the Discus.

I have been told by some that I should only use half RO water on my water changes as too much RO water can be bad as it removes all the goodies from the water as well. Also I think there are some mineral salts you can get that help replenish the goddies in to the RO water. If there is what would you all recommend?

Cheers...
I do nothing, it goes from the RO unit to the tank. I do pitch some water softener salt in the tank after water changes. If you have a 180 gallon tank with Discus, you should be changing 180 gallons a week minimum. The more complicated you make it, the easier it is to mess up and hurt the fish. I practice the KISS method because I tend to do stupid things. I do dose twice a week using PMDD and TMG. What is your TDS out of the tap, and currently in the tank? What kind of ferts do you currently use? What type and how many Discus?.....DC
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 01:58 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khandurian View Post
Another way to go is by using -

3) PURE Baking soda and Epsom Salts.

You do not have to worry about treating the tap water for ammonia. I use this method in all of my tanks.

The baking soda will increase the KH and PH and epsom salts will increase the GH. (If I remember correctly)
I used to do this, and I got a calcium deficiency. Now I add calcium chloride.

In 5 gallons of water, 1/4 tsp. of baking soda, 1/4 tsp. epsoms, and 1/2 calcium chloride makes the KH 3.36 and the GH around 5.5-6 or so. I have it written down somewhere and I can look if you ask.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 06:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to andrewwl
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikeapill View Post
In 5 gallons of water, 1/4 tsp. of baking soda, 1/4 tsp. epsoms, and 1/2 calcium chloride makes the KH 3.36 and the GH around 5.5-6 or so. I have it written down somewhere and I can look if you ask.
I'm interested to know your method.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloCanine View Post
If you have a 180 gallon tank with Discus, you should be changing 180 gallons a week minimum. The more complicated you make it, the easier it is to mess up and hurt the fish. DC

IMO 100% weekly is a little extreme. Even for a planted Discus tank. I have never needed to do more than a 50% change on my current Planted Discus 58gallon tank to keep things balanced and clean, and never did more than 20% on my old unplanted or very lightly planted Discus tanks.

With all due respect, you talk of The KISS method. 100% weekly doesn't sound simple to me. It seems to me that the larger the volume of water you change, the higher the risk of messing up your parameters and shocking the Discus.

I may be way off base. Just posting my observations.

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwl View Post
I'm interested to know your method.
Lets see. Found the paper. On saturday I mix 5 gallons of water, add.125 teaspoons of Kno3 and No-salt, 1/4 tsp epsoms, 1/2 tsp. baking soda and calcium chloride. I don't add the Calcium Chloride and Epsoms at the same time. I add 5 drops of Fleet enema and let it age and heat for 24 hours with a powerfilter circulating the water

That water's Kh is 3.36 and the GH is 5.6
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
IMO 100% weekly is a little extreme. Even for a planted Discus tank. I have never needed to do more than a 50% change on my current Planted Discus 58gallon tank to keep things balanced and clean, and never did more than 20% on my old unplanted or very lightly planted Discus tanks.

With all due respect, you talk of The KISS method. 100% weekly doesn't sound simple to me. It seems to me that the larger the volume of water you change, the higher the risk of messing up your parameters and shocking the Discus.

I may be way off base. Just posting my observations.

Tommy
Actually, water changes are the easiest and simpliest thing I do. Absolutely no way to change the parameters and shock the fish, I use 100% RO and dose afterwards. Sometimes I change out 150% in a week if the TDS spikes, the Discus are looking stressed, or I do not get a chance to run the Diatom.......DC
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloCanine View Post
Actually, water changes are the easiest and simpliest thing I do. Absolutely no way to change the parameters and shock the fish, I use 100% RO and dose afterwards. Sometimes I change out 150% in a week if the TDS spikes, the Discus are looking stressed, or I do not get a chance to run the Diatom.......DC

Wow. God Bless. I barely have time to do the proper maintenance on a 58 gallon planted and a 10 gallon bare hospital/ shrimp breeding tank. Of course, if I had a TDS meter and actually used it I may find that I would need more H2O changes...

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastormont View Post

Try to get the technical water quality report that tells you what's in the water. In the US this report may or may not be online, and usually is in addition to what is called the 'consumer confidence' report. Then you can calculate the amount of dilution needed to get the water where you want it in terms of calcium, magnesium and alkalinity (KH).

My water is 24dGH and 15dKH out of the tap. After experimenting with various amounts of dilution, it's looking like a 7:1 ratio of RO:tapwater is working best for the plants. I had no success whatsoever using RO Right or Equilibrium when reconstituting 100% RO, YMMV.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
Wow. God Bless. I barely have time to do the proper maintenance on a 58 gallon planted and a 10 gallon bare hospital/ shrimp breeding tank. Of course, if I had a TDS meter and actually used it I may find that I would need more H2O changes...

Tommy
A TDS meter is around $20, takes a few seconds to get a reading. I value mine more than all my other test kits combined........DC

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode