Weird readings - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Weird readings

Hello

I am confused. I have set up a new 700l tank (610l usable volume). I have added 1 Siamese Fighting Fish and 3 Cherry shrimps last week. I also planted half of it last week and some more on Thursday. It's not packed with plants but some good fast growers (Cabomba, Elodea, Vals, Hygrophilia) mixed with medium to slow growers.

I took a Water Reading after the first set up and it was like this:

PH 7.8
GH 140ppm
KH 75 ppm
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.1ml
Nitrate 6ml
Phosphate 1.5ml

I am using 6 Buckets of Rainwater to 1 Bucket of Tap water and I use Sera Water Conditioner.

1 week later, I had still 0 Ammonia, but Nitrites and Nitrates are off the scale.
I now have green water and an algae bloom. I couldn't test for Phosphates as the test kit got screwed by the Nitrates. I am injecting CO2 at 1 bubble a second and my plants are rowing like mad and are pearling like an air stone.

What I don't understand it, how Nitrites and Nitrates could have gotten so high in one week ? 1 Fighting Fish cannot produce that much waste in 1 week ? And I never thought that Cherry Shrimp are big producers either ?

I feed my fighting fish 2 flakes a day, hardly overfeeding ?

Where do those Nitrites come from???? Could the plants have been fertilized so heavily tat they added that amount to the tank ? I mail ordered them and apparently there was 110 of them (I didn't count the stem pants... lol).

I am assuming I am adding enough CO2 if my plants are pearling, I am diffusing it into the spray bar (its under water) and I have tiny CO2 bubbles floating through the tank.

Lighting is 4 58W tubes, 2 Gro Lux and 2 Sylvania Daylight, no reflectors added yet.

The complete readings:

PH 7.3
GH 120 (6)
KH 65 (6.5)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 1.6
Nitrate 50
Phosphate na
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Did you dose any KNO3 (potassium nitrate)?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 11:21 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I sure wouldn't use rainwater in London. My area, I will sometimes get extremely high TDS in my rainwater, other times it's very soft. I never trust rainwater because there is no telling what is in it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
I sure wouldn't use rainwater in London. My area, I will sometimes get extremely high TDS in my rainwater, other times it's very soft. I never trust rainwater because there is no telling what is in it.

I wouldn't use rainwater anywhere. Most people stopped that thinking back in the 60's.

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode