Nitrogen and Nitrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nitrogen and Nitrate

Hi all

At the suggestion of some of the members of this forum I started dosing my tank with NITROGEN a few months ago.
My Nitrate started out at ZERO and has reamed that way throughout the dosing period. I use Seachem and dose 0.5 ML twice a week. Am I missing something?

Dan

20 Gallon High
A H 55 Watt 6700 k Bulb
EHEIM 2215
50 Watt Heater
Hagen ladder - DIY 2 liter
Eco complete(2 bag)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Hi Dan, what I would do is to fill a bucket (don't use your tank as test tube) with 5 gal of water, measure N, then add a certain amount of Seachem Flourish N, and measure again, and see what you get.

Seachem claims that half of the N in Flourish is in the form of Nitrates, so with a nitrate test kit you should double your results to get a total N level.

In other words, if you measure 5 ppm in your tap water, then add enough to raise levels to 20 ppm, you should measure about 12.5 ppm now (if my math is correct). That would tell you you have an actual level of about 20 ppm. Just an example, of course.

If you add the Flourish and don't get the expected result, most likely your testkit doesn't work (either outdated, or user error - not enough shaking, etc). Don't keep adding N to your tank just to satisfy the testkit, it is better to go by the instructions on the bottle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode