KH2PO4 Question??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
KH2PO4 Question???

I'm trying to figure out how KH2PO4 disassociates into aqueous solution. Also, does the K in KH2PO4 disassociate into a usable K for plants? I know
that PO4 becomes available, but I'm not sure about K?

I've been googling and searching.....can't find the information anywhere without trying to figure out disassociation constants, etc.

Please help....I'm writing a fert calculator for something to do, and I want to be accurate!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycosa View Post
I'm trying to figure out how KH2PO4 disassociates into aqueous solution.

I've been googling and searching.....can't find the information anywhere without trying to figure out disassociation constants, etc.

Well, without the dissociation constants and LeChatelier's Principle, it can't be done . . . HOWEVER:

In solution the K+ ion is immediately freed from the (H2PO4)- ion, so yes, the K is plant-available.

The (H2PO4)- ion will then dissociate based on the existing pH and the equilibrium constant to form (HPO4)-2 ions and H+ ions.

The (HPO4)-2 ions will dissociate based on the pH and the equilibrium constant to form (PO4)-3 ions and H+ ions.

BUT - LeChatelier's principle tells us that if you (the plants) remove (PO4)-3 ions, more (HPO4)-2 and (H2PO4)- ions will dissociate to replace it . . .

So, for calculation of available P (as PO4), just use the total KH2PO4 - as the plants need the P they will get it - whatever form it is in.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
to sum it up i guess, i think someone once told me or i've read somewhere that you should get the/enough K that you need from the KH2PO4 and not have to dose K separately.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Thanks, KevinC, again for the information. You've answered my question completely.

Quote:
to sum it up i guess, i think someone once told me or i've read somewhere that you should get the/enough K that you need from the KH2PO4 and not have to dose K separately.
Actually, since the recommended ppm for phosphate is small, (1 - 2 ppm), the available potassium from KH2PO4 is small and not near the recommended dose. I wanted to include the additional K from KH2PO4 into the calculation, however miniscule the amount. If one were dosing excess KH2PO4, since, as KevinC said the K is in usable form, it is a source which should be accounted for in the calculation. I'm basically writing the program in a different format than the available fert calc's that I've seen. More along the lines of choosing target ppms for ferts and having everything else calculate automatically. Anyhow, writing the program has forced me to learn a lot more, and that is never a bad thing!

Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 05:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to andrewwl
Wow impressive! KevinC, you should write some articles
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 06:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Quote:
to sum it up i guess, i think someone once told me or i've read somewhere that you should get the/enough K that you need from the KH2PO4 and not have to dose K separately
If I'm right that is from EI method of fertilizing in barr report. Tom reported that K from KNO3 and KH2PO4 if given as per EI is of enough level. However I'm still puzzled of how some people purposely increase K level to near or excess 50ppm to get a specific result.

I also find out by trying that using phosporic acid instead of KH2PO4 is also as great, but the downside is that it is in liquid form which is troublesome for some people. (Warning : concentrated phosphoric acid is highly corrosive and should be handled with care. Use only diluted acid if you have not trained)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
If I'm right that is from EI method of fertilizing in barr report. Tom reported that K from KNO3 and KH2PO4 if given as per EI is of enough level.
i'm pretty sure this is what i was referring to, or somethin along the lines of it.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Well, without the dissociation constants and LeChatelier's Principle, it can't be done . . . HOWEVER:

In solution the K+ ion is immediately freed from the (H2PO4)- ion, so yes, the K is plant-available.

The (H2PO4)- ion will then dissociate based on the existing pH and the equilibrium constant to form (HPO4)-2 ions and H+ ions.

The (HPO4)-2 ions will dissociate based on the pH and the equilibrium constant to form (PO4)-3 ions and H+ ions.

BUT - LeChatelier's principle tells us that if you (the plants) remove (PO4)-3 ions, more (HPO4)-2 and (H2PO4)- ions will dissociate to replace it . . .

So, for calculation of available P (as PO4), just use the total KH2PO4 - as the plants need the P they will get it - whatever form it is in.

Kevin
Holy crap, I should have paid attention in my chemistry class! I'm lost but learning.

90 gal, eheim 2217, pressure co2, 4x54w T5HO.
Eheim limp #432
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
You can get into the chemistry of it all if you like, but it can be distilled and made much simpler for those of us without degrees in chemistry!

Try reading this - http://www.rexgrigg.com/

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Planted Member

I know this thread is old, but I am going to ask for clarification here rather than start a new one.

So if I were making an excel calculator for the amounts of K and P from a KH2PO4 solution, the amount of K would be whatever K is in the solution, straight up, and the amount of P would be the amount of P in the solution?

I mean all of this in mass- using the molecular masses and finding the percent of P and K in the solution I could find the mass of K and P I am adding to the aquarium, which allows me to get the ppm added to the tank right?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishar View Post
I mean all of this in mass- using the molecular masses and finding the percent of P and K in the solution I could find the mass of K and P I am adding to the aquarium, which allows me to get the ppm added to the tank right?
Yep...that'll do it!

Sergio C.

-
-
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:46 AM
Planted Member

awesome- thanks for the reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode