CO2 injected, no bubble on riccia - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
CO2 injected, no bubble on riccia

Hi, I just got my presurized system yesterday and adjusted 1 bubble per second for my 20 Gal. However, I do not see bubble form on my riccia or any other plants after serveral hours when the light and CO2 are on. I did get bubble formed on my plants when I used my DIY CO2 two weeks ago. I also got a new Eheim 2222 Pro, which provide more movement water (not the surface). Could this be the reason or I did got the wrong gas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
1 bubble per second? I'd go for more, ~3-4 bubbles per second. Check out the DIY drop checker thread on the DIY forums...read through the entire thread.

It's a great thread to see whether you've hit the optimal amount of CO2 in your tank or not.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
CO2 is NOT magic. Also "pearling" is not caused solely by CO2. Do you add any ferts? Now much light do you have?

And you did not get the wrong gas. The CGA 320 valve can only be filled with a CO2 fill valve. And all CO2 cylinders have a CGA 320 valve.

Not sure where people get the idea that pearling is automatic by adding "something". Seen the same question many times.

Your plants won't pearl till the water is saturated with oxygen. In some tanks this happens very quickly. In other tanks hardly ever.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Rex Rrigg, no mean to disrespect, but you sound obnoxious to my question. I am new to this hobby so I do not know much and still learning. I asked this question because my plants pearled when I used my DIY CO2 but it does not when I use the pressurized system. Anyways...I am currently have 3wpg and using Kent Freshwater, which does not seem to help much. So, I think I'll switch back to PMDD and see if there is any improvement. Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabreaker View Post
Rex Rrigg, no mean to disrespect, but you sound obnoxious to my question. I am new to this hobby so I do not know much and still learning. I asked this question because my plants pearled when I used my DIY CO2 but it does not when I use the pressurized system. Anyways...I am currently have 3wpg and using Kent Freshwater, which does not seem to help much. So, I think I'll switch back to PMDD and see if there is any improvement. Thanks for your help.
That's how Mr. Grigg's persona is. =P He's a great resource to this hobby.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
nabreaker - how are you dissolving your pressurized CO2 in the tank? A good reactor will go a very long ways towards making the plants pearl. If you get more of the CO2 dissolved, you might see better results. If you're looking for ideas, try this one:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...2-reactor.html

Cheap and fairly easy to make, with great results

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
Quote:
Hi, I just got my presurized system yesterday and adjusted 1 bubble per second for my 20 Gal. However, I do not see bubble form on my riccia or any other plants after serveral hours when the light and CO2 are on. I did get bubble formed on my plants when I used my DIY CO2 two weeks ago. I also got a new Eheim 2222 Pro, which provide more movement water (not the surface). Could this be the reason or I did got the wrong gas?
More movement in the tank (does not have to be surface movement) does mean less pearling. It could be just that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
Quote:
More movement in the tank (does not have to be surface movement) does mean less pearling. It could be just that.

Epicfish btw, 3-4 bubbles per second is way to much for a 20 gallon tank (if the gas is diffused efficiently).

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, I read that have 3-4 bubbles per second will reduce your pH. 1-2 per second is on the safe side. I am using a glass diffusor right now and I think I don't get pearling because high movement in my water. I guess it's a good thing to keep the water well cirulated oh well... I am willing to compensate . BTW, there are a few pearls formed on the riccia this morning after 50% WC and PMDD added. I will wait and see if the fertilizer will help or not. Thanks for your help folks.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
My experience was that I was badly overestimating how much CO2 I had dissolved in the water. I had about 3-4 bubbles per second on a 29 gallon tank, which I thought had to be enough. But, when I started using my little drop checker I soon found I didn't have nearly enough. Now I use that device to maintain 40 ppm of CO2 in the water and everything pearls after an hour or so when the lights come on.

Incidentally, I don't think O2 saturation of the water is necessary, and it is hard to achieve anyway. As long as the plants are growing fast enough to produce O2 faster than it can dissolve in the water you will see pearling, so with adequate light and fertilizer, good CO2 will induce pearling.

Hoppy
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
How come with DIY co2 you get like 10 bubbles per minute and your co2 ppm is high(30-40) , but you guys talk about 3 or 4 bubbles per second? I don't understand this....
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think there are many reasons for this. Let me go back through time... When I had my DIY CO2 about 1 month ago, I got about 1 bubble per second but it was very inconsistence. I had only a few plants, which include a big patch of riccia on the rock, java fern, rotala indicia, and three tall lucky bamboos. Even though at the time, I had a lot of pearlings on riccia and java fern I also had GBA and BBA all over the tank. I think this is due to low and inconsistence level of CO2 but excess fertilizer. I tried spot treatment with H2O2, indeed the algae were reduce after several days, but so did my riccia. My tanks turned into one big mess because the riccia started to fall apart. Some of the algae survived so I decided to stop dosing PMDD and reduce light time for two weeks. I decided not to go through this trouble again and bought new filter system and co2 system and start fresh. I also bought a big patch of riccia in this forum and a big plant package, which I thought was much more than I needed, last week. So currently, I don't think I have enough fertilizer in my tank. I decided not to jump start the PMDD, but use my normal daily dose as recommended in this forum.

So far the plants seem very healthy after the CO2 system added. Not so much algae with the help of my new SAE's and aminos. The fishes are healthy, but keep hiding behind the rock and plants. They seem to take turn to come out and play. So think about it, the tank condition is better than I expected. I just like to see the pearlings to add a little excitement in the tank, but if not I am okay with it.

About CO2 saturation, I don't think this is an issue. If you recall back to my story earlier, the riccia pearled with a DIY CO2 with glass diffuser.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikeapill View Post
How come with DIY co2 you get like 10 bubbles per minute and your co2 ppm is high(30-40) , but you guys talk about 3 or 4 bubbles per second? I don't understand this....
It isn't likely that you get 30-40 ppm CO2 with 10 bubbles per minute. If that is based on measuring KH and pH, don't forget that the equatiion that the tables for that relationship are based on require that the tank water be almost perfect - nothing but carbonates contributing to alkalinity and nothing but CO2 contributing to acidity. Our tanks are rarely that perfect.

Hoppy
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 02:44 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
I was getting about 40 ppm with 15 bubbles per minute. No phosphate buffering. I'm not argueing with you, i'm just a newb and don't want to OD my tank with co2 once I go prezzurized when my system comes in. I'm afraid of co2...
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 02:52 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
It seemed like DIY CO2 was purer than the can is. That is probably false but it seemed that way to me too. Maybe it is just diminishing returns. I don't get much pearling till the lights have been on for 7 or 8 hours but I have heavy flow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode