my tap water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
my tap water

The tap water in my new apartment is running at 0 degrees GH and about 12 degrees KH. The PH is in the upper 7.5 to 7.8 range. I am going to use DIY
CO2 and about 4 watts per gallon on a 16 gallon bowfront tall.
I suspect my town water is treated in a softner, in town there is an office called Jamestown Soft Water. I previously did not have such high PH or KH and am a little nervous about these recent developments. I have Acid Buffer but I know if I start doing this it will take lot's of work to calculate and lot's of buffer just to lower that KH. What will this ultimately mean for my plants and fish? Will I have more algae problems? Just seeking advice. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Did you measure KH and pH straight out of the tap, or wait 24 hours and then measure? I'm thinking you've measured the pH straight out of tap because your measurements indicate anywhere from 5 - 11 ppm CO2. (Typical because gas is compressed because of pressurized water lines)

Wait 24 hours and measure your pH again, you'll see that it has most likely dropped significantly as the gas reaches equilibrium with the atmosphere. KH may very well be 15 dKH. Not to worry, won't hurt your fish unless they are pH sensitive. Even then, you can simply add some RO water to bring the pH down without adding any acid to the system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
actually tested after filling the tank and letting it set overnight. The Ph is a bit high or so it seems to me but I can dilute my changes with distilled water I suppose...just equals more work for me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode