Tap Water Nutrients????? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Tap Water Nutrients?????

Why does it seem that my tap water has the 'miracle' nutrient? It seems that after every water change, I add the ferts and everything pearls like crazy for the first couple of days. After that, even though I continue to dose on a pretty good schedule, I get less pearling, less vigorous growth until the next water change. It seems that my tap water contains a nutrient that once used up, limits growth. Anyone else having the same thing happen?

Tapwater Carbonate Hardness - 3 dKH

My dosing schedule:

2.47 grams KNO3 3X a week.
(Nitrates at 20 ppm and Pottasium at 12.61 ppm)
0.16 grams KH2PO4 3X a week
(1.5 ppm Phosphate)
4.61 grams MgSO4 3X a week
(6 ppm Magnesium)

and 0.1 grams GW traces on off days, figured for iron at 0.2 ppm.

Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 05:35 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
here in NYC the tap water intentionally has 2ppm Phosphates added to it by the water authority which is used to keep pipe joints intact. it's possible the pearling is the abundance of dissolved oxygen left from water treatment plant oxidation used in the water purification process, and not because your plants are respirating oxygen on their own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wondered about that, but it happens for more than 48 hours, then peters out. I get the nice 'string of pearls' coming off the plants indicating photosynthesis. Not that growth stops after that, Riccia for example pearls after, just not to the extent that it occurs in the beginning after the water change. I haven't been able to put my finger on the cause.....

Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

epicfish, I get 'page not found' when clicking on the links.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've seen the same in my tanks. I think what is happening is that the water out of your tap has more dissolved oxygen (DO) then the tank does. This is perhaps possible because the water out of the tap is under constant pressure in sealed pipes with no place for gasses to go.

When you add this water to your tank it naturally out-gasses and reaches an equilibrium in the process releasing tons of O2 in the tank. I would suspect that the DO in the tank after the water change goes up a lot thus all the crazy pearling plants. Maybe the fish color up too and are more active as well. When the water is saturated with O2 naturally the O2 coming off the plant leaves can no longer be absorbed into the water anymore so you see pearling.

To get more pearling (high DO levels) you can

1. do more water changes

2. make sure your Co2 is rock-solid

3. make sure your plants are growing well

4. make sure your substrate and filters are clean*

* A build up of organics accumulate in the tank from uneaten fish food, fish waste, old plant leaves etc.. The aerobic bacteria that live in all tanks naturally eat it up, but the more of it there is the more bacteria there is. More bacteria the more oxygen they demand, thus lowering your DO levels in the tank (less visible pearling). They can really lower the DO levels over the course of the coming days between your water changes and compete with your fish and plants for O2.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Magicmagni, spypet, that makes sense. I guess I just associated the visible 'pearling' with growth. It didn't occur to me that the DO levels might be saturated to the point that where O2 would no longer be dissolved. But, since I've tweaked everything to keep surface turbulence to a minimum, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the advice!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycosa View Post
Magicmagni, spypet, that makes sense. I guess I just associated the visible 'pearling' with growth. It didn't occur to me that the DO levels might be saturated to the point that where O2 would no longer be dissolved. But, since I've tweaked everything to keep surface turbulence to a minimum, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the advice!
That's pretty much what all the links I pasted said. =)

PS: They all work for me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't know why, but the links worked when I just tried them again. Thanks!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Sure thing.

I was thinking I had finally learned how to grow plants when they started to pearl after a WC...then I checked on her. Burst my bubble. =P
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I feel a little embarrased now.... I sit here and try and give advice to others on some of the things that I do know, but that one blew right by me!

I have been humbled!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer the same old question!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode