I want to make my own GH Booster - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question I want to make my own GH Booster

It seems all the pre-packaged GH boosters out there contain Potassium in high amounts. First of all, is there any reason for this?

I want to make my own 4:1 dry mix of Calcium to Magnesium by mixing the two powders together beforehand. Magnesium will come from Magnesium Sulphate (MgSO4). But there seems to be a lot of options on which form of Calcium to use.

Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) - I've heard is very hard to disolve, especially when combined with Magnesium Sulfate.
Calcium Chloride (CaCL2) - Seems to be an ok choice
Calcium Sulfate (CaSO4) - Seems to make the most sense to be since I will be mixing with MgSO4. any negatives to excessive Sulfates?
Calcium Nitrate (CaNO3) - Will increase nitrate levels a little, but I like this idea too.

So the real question is, which form of Calcium is best to use mixed with dry MgSO4???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Well, why is added K+ bad again?

The GH booster from Greg is based on SeaChem Eq but has less K+ and more Mg.

Many use CaSO4 for Ca.
CaCl2 is fine also.

Do not forget to add the waters in the calculations, Epsom salt has 7 and CaCl2 has 2.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up

Oh I just like to manage K dosing seperately. I want to set my GH and KH parameters as constant as possible at water change time. I mix KNO3, KH2PO4, and K2SO4 in a stock soulation for all my macro needs.

Hmm... Looks like I have some more studying to do. I want to make sure I understand how the H20s affect those Calcium and Magnesium compounds as I calculate concentrations.

Leaning towards CaSO4 for the Calcium part so far.

Thanks for your reply.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph0 View Post
Oh I just like to manage K dosing seperately.
But why?

Quote:
I want to set my GH and KH parameters as constant as possible at water change time. I mix KNO3, KH2PO4, and K2SO4 in a stock soulation for all my macro needs.

Hmm... Looks like I have some more studying to do. I want to make sure I understand how the H20s affect those Calcium and Magnesium compounds as I calculate concentrations.

Leaning towards CaSO4 for the Calcium part so far.

Thanks for your reply.
I think it is quite unrealitistic to seek constant ppms, rather, a better more flexible method is to have a range of ppms that you target then you need not be so critical with dosing, measuring or in the routine etc. Even the best test kits and measuring methods which can be laborious when done properly have error ranges than make that goal unrealitistic.

There's a way around it but involves a huge reservior and a small tank.

But having a relative range of nutrients is the key thing here, KH is not particularly important other than measuring CO2, there are ways to get around that parameter(KH) as well.

You can read the EI article I have on my site and see if that will make life easier. After time, few aquarist test and rather would watch their plants, garden,scape etc rather than play around with the ferts.

While important, the lion's share of folks' issues and algae related problems are with CO2, you would be much wiser to focus such energy there than with ferts.

As long as there is ample supplies over a wide range, especially for GH more than any other and K+, you have much bigger issues to fret over.

I've gone from 2 to 24 degrees with GH. Many keep about 4-10 ranges.

K+ is more difficult to measure, I use a colorimeter which is very $$, not something a hobbyists might use, and over very wide ranges and over very long time frames folks have used very high levels, 50-100ppm or more, so targeting 10-40ppm for a range should present no problems for you.
Erik 's winning AGA tank from past year's won best of show with over 100 ppm of K+ with a large stand of Ammannia and a GH of about 5 using SeaChem Eq.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode