Reconstituting RO water......? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Reconstituting RO water......?

I finally broke weak and purchased an RO+DI system. I am wanting/needing a Ph of around 6-6.2--Maybe a little higher, maybe a little lower, but right now that's my mark.

I have Barr's GH Booster, so I will be using that, at least until its gone. This is for my A. javanicus', but there are Plants invloved--so I need to understand what I am doing......

I am assuming that I want a KH of about 4, Correct? What about GH?--what am I looking for there?

I've read a ton of threads here and at APC, but its all kind of gotten jumbled around in my head.

What am I looking for for KH and GH with a PH of 6-6.2?

TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
What is youre tap parametes? as best you can tell with cheapy kits,
and are you going to be using C02? and why are you shooting for an exact ph reading of 6-6.2?

Cutting with tap is the best way to go, if you have a KH of 10 out of tap, cutting it 50/50 with RO/DI will give you a KH5, thats how it works.

Craig

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanx WolfenxXx,

I am seeking to somewhat replicate the Black water pools, streams, rivers, etc of SE Asia. I want the Low Ph and generally very soft water--not just for replication, but for its antiseptic qualities also/mainly. I already add Humic acids and Tannins for their antiseptic qualities. I have been using Seachem's Acid Buffer to keep my Ph between 6-7 and I am already seeing the benefits--I believe: more time will tell. The Ph does get up towards 7, but overall has been staying between 6-6.4. From reading SE Asian Biotope info Ph gets quite low. Ph of 6 is something that I should be able to manage in an aquarium and I can adjust it down further from there with C02 if necessary. But I think Ph 6 will work fine. Plus I would just like to understand this stuff out of GP.

My tap parameters are: Ph 8.2, Kh ~14-15, Gh ~17-18. I don't have access to the "After sitting 24hrs" numbers, but they are about the same--I think ph drops to 7.8-80--not much.

Basically, If I mix RO and Tap at 3RO:1T I should come out with: Ph ?, Kh 4-(3.75) and Gh 4.5, correct?

I use C02 in the Plant Filter and the overflows/returns are under water--except for the overflow from the plant filter to the sump. Its just a water-level overflow and there is mixing of air and water and bubbling at the other end in the sump--So, I am assuming that I am losing some C02 there--if not most or all of it. In the main tank is a Limewood (coralife) airstone, so I am assuming that I am losing all of the C02 there.

Hornwort in the main 40g tank and I just added FISA'a Weeping Moss to a very large rock. In the Plant filter is Hygro Polysperma and Hp 'ceylon', Anachrias and a small amount of Hornwort.

What Gh am I looking for for the Plants?

TIA

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
I see, I run several softwater tanks, they are sweet. I do not see why you would need the acid buffer or humic acid, your RO will be about as clean/antiseptic as you can get without having to put additives into the tank.

Your ph will be around neutral using pure RO/DI, although I would cut it with tap, possibly 9 to1 or 8 to 2, try it with measuring cups see what it comes out as, 3 cups RO to 1 cup Tap, KH will probably be around 6, as hard as your water is, maybe a tad less.

To drop the ph simply add C02 to the tank, don't use anything else, you don't need it, some peat below the substrate is always a plus too.
I run a couple of my tanks with a KH of about 2, ph before lights on is 6.4-ish, once the C02 runs a bit I dont know how low it goes, I don't really care, I use the fish and plants to tell me how things are, learn to use the spraybar or lily pipe for aerational and maintanance purposes on a daily basis.
Running a softwater tank is actually very easy and the plant choices you then have are much better
Your water is liquid rock, you will have to change filters in the RO unit regularly, I would test it about every two to three months.
Don't worry so much about GH, it will usually stay a degree or two higher than the KH.

Craig

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanx!

From this discussion and others--this is my basic game plan, so Please tell me where I am shooting myself in the Foot:

I guess I am initially going to shoot for a Kh of 2 and see where that leaves me with the Ph. I will continue to add the Humic acids and Tannins and see where that leads me with the Ph. Then, depending upon where I am at, I will seriously consider pulling the airstone and adding a C02 reactor to the main tank. If all is well and/or my Ph is too low--then I will Up the Kh to wherever it needs to be. I am not really going to be concerned with the Ph level caused by the C02, but If, after adding C02, I can increase the Kh to say 3 or 4--I will. Problems?

I guess I will shoot for a Gh of 5-6 and just let the plants tell me where it needs to be.

This is all initially for only 2 setups: 1 is only currently about 3g, but the other is ~110g. If I can reach the Sweet spot in the 110g setup--I'll just use water from that for the 3g setup.

Please let me know what them Problems are with my current basic plan.....!!!

The Low Ph and Humic acids are for their on-going antiseptic qualities (cleansing), not just with respect to being initially "Sterile". Hope that makes sense.....

Thanx!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode