Recharging Purigen - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
Recharging Purigen

Instead of using the Seachem Acid Buffer, can I use vinegar instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Bleach works, I believe. ReefGeek | Aquarium Supplies for Marine, Reef, and Saltwater Aquariums has instructions I think.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 11:25 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
I use 50/50 bleach and water and then after a day or so I rinse it out and soak it in water for another day. Then rinse it and let it sit out a few days to dry.

I have 2 pouches though so I don't need it right away.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 01:23 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I use the neutral buffer myself, the one that also gets rid of chlorine (kill 2 birds...)

Tina
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
Tina, what brand is it?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
I don't know if you can just use vinegar or not. A Good Place to ask would be on the Seachem Forums. That said: A 300g bottle of Acid Buffer is about $4--if you just use it for regenerating Purigen--it will last for yrs.

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I use 50/50 water/bleach as well. Soak for 24hrs. Rinse and soak in fresh water for a couple days. I also add Prime to the freshwater soak. I don't know if it really helps or not but i have a great deal of faith in Prime so I add a cap full. If after that it doesn't smell like bleach I call it done. If it still smells like bleach I rinse it again and soak another couple days in freshwater with Prime. If it still smells like bleach, I toss it and buy more.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
yeah do 50/50 bleach/ water like the directions say. For saltwater tanks you don't need to soak it in buffered water solution, but in freshwater you may find that if you don't it will raise the PH because the bleach raises the PH of the purigen. By soaking it in some neutral regulator or acid buffer solution with some dechlorinator (to neutralize residual bleach) you ensure that it does not potentially do this. Myself I use their non-phosphate based buffers like the acid buffer just becasue I don't want to worry about leaching phosphates into the water although really that shouldn't be a huge deal.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
50/50 bleach/water and then freshwater with prime
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Here is a simple breakdown of the reason Seachem says to use the acid buffer--Posts 6, 8, 10:

Purigen question? - Seachem Support Forums

From what I can gather: Plenty of people Regen Purigen without doing the final step--bringing down the ph. And they don't seem to have any complaints. But that said, again:

Quote:
A 300g bottle of Acid Buffer is about $4--if you just use it for regenerating Purigen--it will last for yrs.
Its Your call. I needed to order some other stuff, so I threw in the Acid Buffer. I haven't tried to Regen it without it, so I cannot really comment there.

HTH

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
kinda a sub topic here, but I'm assuming most of the folks posting here are using it in their planted tanks?

I am. So far so good. It's good stuff. Anyone note any negative experiences with it on a planted tank?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Here is Seachem's Response:

Quote:
Hello,
Yes, the vinegar is okay to use instead of acid buffer.
Purigen Regeneration.....? - Seachem Support Forums

HTH

Magicmagni,

I intended to use Purigen in 4 setups, but when I found out it removes Humic acids/Tannins I now only use it in 3 setups. The water polishing is amazing! I have a Diatom filter and a UV and the Purigen beats both of them--hands down in my eyes! I have not had any problems with it at all. If the waste load is large then it will need regening pretty quick, but under "Normal" circumstances--I think its a Great Product!

For the Record:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceH2O View Post
I use 50/50 bleach and water and then after a day or so I rinse it out and soak it in water for another day. Then rinse it and let it sit out a few days to dry.

I have 2 pouches though so I don't need it right away.
Seachem:

Quote:
Sometimes when Purigen dries out the small resin beads will crack and break. If this has occurred I would recommend that you purchase some new Purigen. If you need to store it you will want to keep it moist. This can be done in a plastic bag or jar.
Post 16---Allowing Purigen to Dry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode