Titration Endpoint? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Titration Endpoint?

Ughh.....I'm struggling terribly trying to find the formula, or more information regarding titrating to the carbonic acid equivalence point in freshwater. So far all I can find is that it depends strongly on the ionic strength and alkalinity. Hach tests reportedly titrate to pH 5.1 for freshwater. Is there anyone out there doing there doing their own alkalinity titrations that could help...please!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Well, I think you've confused me, and I'm a chemist . . .

Alkalinity is usually due to bicarbonate ions in freshwater - the deprotonated form of carbonic acid. To measure it, you titrate with a standard acid to about a pH of 4.5 (5.1 is close enough) at which point an indicator changes color (you could use a pH meter and graph the data if you wanted to be really accurate). The acid converts the bicarbonate to carbonic acid (CO2 + water).

The ionic strength can be safely ignored.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the information. I seem to be getting really good at confusing people lately. I think it is because I myself am confused.

It seems the confusion is where the endpoint is. If I titrate with HCL acid to an endpoint of 4.5 using methyl orange as an indicator, the alkalinity will be N meq/L. Correct? My confusion is, I'm not finding any information that gaurantees that all of the H2CO3- and HCO3- has been converted at that point, (or maybe 4.5 titrates past that point). The meq/L will of course be different at differing endpoints. Is there a way to calculate what the precise endpoint should be? Help is much appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Well, the endpoint pH depends on the concentration of the bicarbonate . . . Without going into too much of the chemistry, carbonic acid is a weak acid, so the pH of a solution of carbonic acid (which is what you have at the equivalence point) depends on both the Ka (equilibrium constant) and the concentration of the acid. Here is a basic equation (assuming C is greater than about 0.0001M):

[H+] = [-Ka + SQRT((Ka^2) + 4(Ka)(C))]/2
pH = -log[H+]

Ka = equilibrium constant. For H2CO3, Ka=4.46*10^-7
C = concentration of H2CO3 (for this special case, this is CO2 + H2CO3).

If you put this into Excel and plug in values of C between 0.1M and 0.0001M you will find pH ranges from 3.7 to 5.2. Since aquarium water usually has a relatively low kH (<0.008M), the equivalence point should be between 4.2 and 5. Since the titration curve is steep at that point, there won't be much error in using an indicator that changes color at 5 or 4.5.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain this. Graphing this out, and not using an indicator but rather a pH meter, the endpoint ends up the same as the second point of inflection. Since, as you've said, the curve at the second point of inflection is pretty steep, the meq/L of acid needed to titrate to that endpoint differs very little. Wow, I think I'm getting it!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode