chloramines.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
chloramines....

ok my local (city) water has chloramine in it ,they say 4ppm, what i'm asking is what i'm suposed to do to get rid of it for water changes in my 240? I can treat the water with prime ,chlor out ,ect.
but that still leaves ammonia in the water, to turn in to quite a bit of nitrates, if i take 5 gal of my tap water put it in a clean bucket and treat it i end up with something like 40-50ppm nitrates, in a week or so... i've tried a R/O and all it dose is lower that final number to 30-35ppm... and takes 3 days to make the ammout water i need... what else can i do?... the tank as set up is a 240g long and tall 96"x18"x32" with a 60g sump tank, a mag 12 pump , three stage mechanical filtration (modified driplate system) with room for carbon as needed, sand and topsoil (4:1 mix) substrate 4"- 6" layer, lighting is 6, 3XODNO T8 lamps 6500k (phillips), currently only dosing basic flurish and excell, C02 will be next month hence the excell,
approx total water volume is 250g accounting for displacement by sand, wood, and rocks, i think...

water is 81degF <-fairly constant morn its 80.5 late eve its about 81.5
ph 7.1 <- tap water is 7.5, tank norm is almost right on 7, 30% water change done 3 days ago...
total hardness 110 ppm
total alkalinity 100 ppm
nitrate 40 ppm
nitrite .5 ppm <---
total ammoina .2 ppm <^-- 30% water change 3 days ago in annother 2-3 days this will go back to 00and nitrates will peak at about 50ppm
free ammoina 00ppm
phosphate .25mg/l <-- I should start dosing this soon

stocking approx as folows, size is of the current largest of the group:
1 4" pleco
8 1.5" tiger barbs
7 1.25" bloodfin tetras
6 1.25"cherry barbs
6 1" cory cats
3 2" long fin zebra dianos
2 1.75" rosy barbs
20 .75" glass shrimp
45 .3" MTS (added 2 days ago)

plants, all my plants have been localy gathered and as sutch i haven't gotten around to getting proper id's on em all... i'm currently what i'd consider lightly to moderatly lightly planted ATM... I need to gather up a few more of ea of the species i've had luck with and break down and buy a few to fill in the rest... i have good but not excessive growth on all but one of the plants i've collected, that one i think may need root ferts since it's a grass type plant...

this tank has been setup and running for about 2 months now ,the sand was in it when i had it set up as a reef for about 6months. it became too mutch hassle and money to get 130 gal of seawater from beach every few weeks so i drained it and rinsed the sand out ,changed the lights and started it up as a FW planted...

i've run many, many tanks before just i was always on a well before, this chloramine stuff is a nightmare...

any outher info needed just holler...

thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Ok, Prime converts the ammonia to a harmless compound that your plants can use.

I suspect your test kit in this case. There is NO way that 4 ppm of chloramine can turn into 50 ppm of nitrates. Your experience with the RO proves that your test kit is suspect. RO when working correctly would remove all the chloramine and nitrates from the water.

When Prime breaks down chloramine the ammonia part will still register on most common ammonia test kits. But it's harmless.

First thing I want you to do is test your test kit.

Take 1000ml of water. Add 6.5 grams of KNO3. Let dissolve.

Now get one gallon of water. The above solution will add 1 ppm of NO3 to the gallon for each ml you add. Add 5 ml. Check your test kit. Add another 5 ml and check the test kit again. Repeat till you hit the 50 ppm range of your test kit. This will verify if your test kit is accurate.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
test kit seems to be close...
@5 it reads approx 7 <low range version
@10 it reads approx 12 <low range version
@25 it reads approx 30 < high range
@50 it reads approx 60 < high range
@100 it reads approx 100 < top end of high range

i also pulled out two outher kits i have one was way off (allways suspected it) the outher was also fairly close...

the 4ppm is what i was quoted by the water co. not a tested ammount i have no way to test it...

the fish seem to be fine and happy and the plants grow ok so so far i have no real problem i'm just to used to running a reef anymore where that would be real bad....

any outher ideas? or sugestions?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
An RO DI system can effectively remove chloramines as well.

Russ @
Buckeye Field Supply

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode