Help with water parameters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Ace

PTrader: (0/0%)
I need help with my water parameters.

pH(tank): 7.8 -8.0 pH(tap):7.0

kH(tank): 3dkh kH(tap):0 dkh

Why the pH swings so high even with non-stop co2 injection?
How can i increase my kh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
I need help with my water parameters.

pH(tank): 7.8 -8.0 pH(tap):7.0
The tap pH is probably closer to the 7.8 to 8.0 range after you let it sit overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
kH(tank): 3dkh kH(tap):0 dkh
That's very soft water, Ace! The fact that the tank water has a higher KH is probably due to replacing evaporated water with tap water. When the water in the tank evaporates, it leaves what little minerals there are in the water behind. Then refilling with tap water adds still more minerals. This effect is virtually unavoidable but can be moderated with partial water changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
Why the pH swings so high even with non-stop co2 injection?
Swinging between 7.8 and 8.0 is not unreasonable. Especially with such a low buffering capacity (KH).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
How can i increase my kh?
Add baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Baking soda "wants" the pH to be about 8.0 and will try to buffer the water to that pH.

Take care...

Tim
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
lanstar you missed the big problem here. His CO2 injection is not working. A pH of 7.8-8.0 with a kH of 3 means he only has 1.4-0.9 ppm of CO2. That means his CO2 system is not working at all. In fact with a kH of 3 he should be able to get the pH down to 6.8 with no problem and then would have decent CO2 levels.

Also a kH of 3 and a pH of 8.0 is not natural unless there is something else effecting water chemistry. Normally one would not see a pH higher than around 7.6 with a kH of 3.

Ace: Increasing the kH will not help your CO2 levels. And raising the kH will also raise the pH. A .2 degree change is not that big of change in pH and well within the error range of normal testing methods. In fact most common pH monitors and controllers have a Ī.2 degrees. You need to take the tap water pH after it has rested for a minimum of 12 hours. If your tap water is truly a pH of 7.0 then something in the tank is messing with the water. In fact I can guarantee that something is messing with your water. Your tap water has no kH so the pH of the tap water is highly variable. I know because I have the same situation. There is no hardness in my tap water and the pH can vary from 6.4 or less to around 7.4 in the same day.

What are you adding now to raise the kH? Tell us more. Inquiring minds want to know

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Ace

Maybe your mind is too inquired haha! thanks for the time you spent anyway

I am not too sure if you are right rex since the co2 injection does work in the tank.(i think)But i myself is suspecting something in the water is messing up the stuff. I remember,first day of this tank was set up the pH is 7.0,take the list below

1st day:7.0
2nd day:6.8
3rd day:7.0
4th day:7.2
5th day:7.6
6th day:7.8-8.0 and so on until today..
even water changes can't do anything
but you are right about 1 thing rex, the water i added to replenish evaporated water is straight out from tap. Actually why do we age the water?anything more you want to know?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What kind of substrate and do you have any rocks in the tank? The kH is coming from somewhere. Not that in your case it's bad because you have no kH in your tap water but it would be nice to know where it's coming from.

The numbers show that your CO2 is not working. Your tank is about where one would expect a tank with NO CO2 to be as far as CO2 levels.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Ace

I am using normal subtrate from LFS.nothing special.I didn't have any rocks in the tank.I only have 2 driftwood though.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm betting that the substrate either has shell bits in it or has some carbonate containing rock. Next time you are at the LFS get a handful and then pour some strong acid like muriatic acid over it. If it bubbles, fizzes or smokes you have found the problem.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Ace

Well thanks for your help rex.I'll do this to fix the prob:

1)inject co2 with something else.
2)add some kh plus.
3)check with LFS about the sand.

anything you wanna say before i take these actions?Oh yeah BTW i am going to switch to canister filter ASAP.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think you have it covered.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode