Cloudy well water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have in the past used well water mixed with RO water to get the right mix for my planted tank. The 2 mixed together work out very well for my plants but the problem is that the well water is cloudy. Used in another non plant tank the tap water will clear up in a day after adding it from the carbon I use in the filter but since I use no carbon in the planted tank the water never really clears up. Lately I've been using Kent RO right mixed with the RO water to get the right parameters. I really don't like doing it this way, it's more work and more expensive. What I'm wondering is what could make tap water cloudy. I'm sure there are probably a lot of different things. I'm wondering if I could run the tap water through some type of inline filter before it gets to the faucet. I dont really know what though, carbon? Then I have the same problem as using it on an aquarium filter, it will take out nutrients. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would have that well tested professionally ASAP bro... thats not a good thing health wise let alone for your aquarium. Water is not cloudy if it is clean.
There are many bacteria's that can cloud your well water and all of them can and should be treated soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Buck, I hate to tell you this but here in Portland we get our water from a watershed. And at certain times of the year the water is slightly cloudy and yellow. It comes from the tons of Alder leaves in the reservoir. But I do agree that he should get the water tested.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 03:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you're in the southwest, or on a stressed aquifer in another part of the country, it's probably a sign that your well needs to be deepened. Here in NM, the Rio Grande Aquifer's water table is dropping pretty rapidly. The cloudiness is usually a sign that you're drawing from near the surface of the water table, where nutrients and all sorts of other stuff has leeched from above.

You said tap water... You are talking about a private well, right?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yes this is well water, it's been cloudy this way for as long as I've been here. I think it has high sulfer content as well as minerals. My neibors all have the same problem with their water. It's not bad after going through the water softener but it is always slightly hazy. I dont drink it out of the tap. It wouldn't hurt to have it tested like you said but I'm guessing there's not a lot that can be done about it. Whatever is in it doesn't seem to bother the plants and I was just wondering what kind of inline filter would help without taking too many nutrients out of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode