Experiences with pH meters? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
For $5, you get a pH test kit that s#cks. For $50, you get a handheld ph tester with 0.1 precision. For $60, you get a Milwaukee that delivers 0.02 precision. $70 and you have a Pinpoint with 0.01 precision. $80 will add automatic temperature compensation.

A replacement electrode costs around $35...

Long term experiences with pH meters, brands, durability... you can share?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't like the units with electrodes, about 10 years ago I used to do analysis on grapes comming in for a winecellar, and the winery had a small handheld unit on which one would simply put a droplet of water for the test.
Only downside was that it needed regular callibration with PH4 and PH10 solutions, and distilled water for wiping it clean, but hell was it accurate. We sometimes ran comparisons with the larger wineprocessing machines with extremeley expensive ph measuring facilities and it almost came out within .05, this included other tests based on the PH etc.

Wish I could remember the name now. LOL I was often reminded of how expensive it was and what the conseqenseswould be if I broke it.

P.s. soz for spelling - second language

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 09:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm using an Aqualife pH meter/CO2 controller. The last replacement probe I put on was a Broadly James. Mine's fairly low maintenance. I wipe the probe off about once a month and calibrate it every few months. I haven't found it off by more than .15 or .2. I should calibrate it more often I suppose. The probes last me a year or so before needing replacement. You can tell when the probes need replaced by watching how fast they react to pH changes during and after calibration. The best indicator is when you put the probe back in the tank after calibrating... if it takes a very long time for pH indication on the meter to return to the tank's pH, it's time to replace the probe.

I set the "dead band" on the controller to .05. So if the set point is 7.10, when the pH rises to 7.15, the controller turns on the CO2 until the pH drops to 7.05. This part of the meter/controller is pretty much set and forget.

Of all the things you have to mess with in a planted tank, the automatic CO2 system (all components, including pH meter/controller/probe) is probably the lowest maintenance item on the tank (except for the lights).

Chief 51, Engine 511, Engine 513, Rescue 511, respond to an algae outbreak at...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode