pH not decreasing! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Ace

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have 45 gallon planted tank.Its CO2 is supplied from 2 bottle of yeast reactor but even with the CO2 gas the pH stays at 7.6! I suppose it should be 6.8-7.2.Can anybody help me? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I know there are many PH ajusting methods and chemicals but I like just adding some driftwood and peat (or extract - tetra blackwater) to bring mine down a tad.

It seems like your water does contain some kind of alkaline buffer which would counteract attempts to lower PH.

There are other folks here who can help you more...

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 01:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
How are you dispersing the co2 into your tank, are you using a reactor?

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Ace

Yup.But i can hardly get the bubbles out....the reactor is not creating any bubbles...the pH is weird....when the Co2 is moving it is 7.When it stops it goes 7.6 +. GRR
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
where do the bubbles go once they come out of the reactor? Do you send them through an airstone, into your filter, or something else? If your yeast batch isn't producing I would just try mixing up a new batch and see what happens.

George

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Well to start with DIY on a tank as large as your tank is problematic at best. You did not say how much mix you were running but it should be at a minimum of 4 liters broken down into two batches of 2 liters each. And I think we have a word problem here. What your bottles should be called are the generators. The reactor in this case is what mixes the CO2 with the water. So now, what are you using to mix the CO2 with the water? Or are you not getting CO2 production from the bottles?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Ace

Ya i got 2 bottles 2liter each. The batch is made of 1/4 teaspoon of yeast,2 cups of sugar and water. The CO2 is sucked into the airline of my powerhead.Not using airstone though..I am still a newbie in using these CO2 ops:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Then your powerhead is not doing a good job of dissolving the CO2. Either that or you are not generating enough CO2. Do you have a bubble counter?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Ace

Nah the powerhead is in top condition.I think it is about the batch.I am going to make another batch of yeast tomorrow.Thanks for helping.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode