Nitrate = tank is cycled? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
ADA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nitrate = tank is cycled?

Hi, sorry if this has been discussed already, but I have been searching and have thus far not found a clear answer.

Basically, in a nutshell my question is: Does 5ppm of NitrAtes present in the water and zero ammonia mean that the tank is cycled, and safe for highly sensitive shrimp?

Below is a more detailed description of what's going on.. Thank you for your time and help.

I just set up a new CRS and Taiwan Bee tank, these are sensitive to water conditions, and expensive so I want to make sure I get it right!

I used a mixture of inert Tahitian Moonsand, and ADA Aquasoil (I only had a small amount of aqua soil, so it's about 15% aquasoil and 85% moonsand)

Tank is a 20gallon long tank

I started it with regular tap water, and right when I first set it up, I used a canister filter which was running and mature from another of my tanks. It's a big filter with lots of bio media, so I'm pretty sure it should have had plenty of good bacteria in it..

After 2 days I emptied out 100% of the water, and filled the tank with RO water, and put in some of the shrimp mineral rock, and some driftwood as well as a fighter fish.

It's now been running for about 2 weeks like this.. (maybe a bit less.. 10 days - 13 days)

I checked for nitrates and ammonia about 4 days ago, there was very little, if any, of either. So I added some fish food to boost the ammonia.

I should have checked in the ensuing days for ammonia spikes, but didn't..

Anyway, I checked it today, and there's 5ppm nitrates, and zero ammonia.

Does this mean the tank is cycled, and perhaps I just missed the ammonia spike? Think it's safe to add shrimp now?

I realize there may not be enough biofilm in there for them, but I will be feeding them.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•••
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•••
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Generally no ammonia and no nitrites with elevated nitrates is a cycled tank. Since you're going to keep sensitive shrimp I would stress test the bacteria first. Add enough ammonia to raise the level to about 4ppm. If it's 0 within 24 hours you're good to go.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Id say you are most likely fine, but a stress test like Zorfox suggested would be a safe bet considering you are adding some probably pricey shrimp.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode