Phosphate Source - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where can I get a source of phosphate? I thought I had read somewhere that fleet enema [http://www.fruit-eze.com/brands/flee...ger_lemon.html] was a source for phosphate, but I'm not sure after looking at a bottle. It had monobasic sodium phosphate and dibasic sodium phosphate. I thought I had read somewhere that what I needed was potassium phosphate.

Should I forget about going this route and just order something?

--- Dave ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 11:17 PM
Planted Member

Fleet Enema is an excellent source for a Phosphate suppliment. It is complete and easy to dose.........and inexpensive.
Just remember to go easy with dosing P. A level of .50 - to 1.0ppm is the range you need to stay in. I only dose when the level drops below .50ppm. And Fleet is what I use. Good stuff.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I think with the very small amounts of chemical that you use (a few drops) it doesn't matter if it is coming from sodium or mono potassium phosphate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

I am using from Wardley's sodium biphosphate Ph reducer, $1.57 from Big Al's. I use a "rice grain" at a time (no wonder people who mess with pH have such high phosphates, the directions say to start with a 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons!)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonapersona
I use a "rice grain" at a time
What does that mean? I just read another reference to that on the APD in reference to the Tom Barr method.
Quote:
A couple of rice grains worth of KH2PO4 3 x a week

--- Dave ---
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

a rice grain is an unofficial measure of volume roughly equvalent to the volume occupied by a grain of rice.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yes, Highly scientific!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

LOL

I'm baffled.

Uncle Ben's or Rice-A-Roni? :lol:

--- Dave ---
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Short grain or long grain? I prefer to make a stock solution for dosing phosphates.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, I bought some Fleet Enema. I decided I needed to try and find out how much to dose and I figured I would start by measuring the phosphate level coming directly out of the bottle. The problem is that it didn't register a single thing on my test kit. I tried mixing up a little stock solution to see if maybe it was just overpowering my kit or something and it still didn't register anything.

I know the kit is good because I just used it over at my mother-in-law's house to try and help her determine her green water problems and my kit turned more purple than I have ever seen it before.

So is this phosphate in some form that can't be measured by my kit? If so, then how the heck do I know how much I need to add or maintain?

--- Dave ---
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 11:29 PM
Planted Member

If you add enough it will register on your test kit. How large is your tank?
How heavily planted is it?
Initially I added 2 or 3 drops and tested for content. If, after an hour I got no reading, I added 2 more. At some point during this process you will get a reading. After getting a reading of .5 - 1.0 you wait to see how long it takes the plants to use it. You will soon get an idea of what your plants use in a given period of time.
It really depends on the plant load and types of plants, how large a dose should be and how long it will last.
If you are saying that you took a small amount of water and put X amount of drops of Fleet's Enema in it and got no reading there is something wrong with your test kit.
I have a 40 gallon, heavily planted tank. I can test and get no reading....add 7 drops directly to the tank and get just over .5ppm. In that tank it will be gone in 3 days and I'll re-dose. I also have a 55, not as heavily planted. I use 3 drops, twice a week in it to maintain .5ppm.
Very simple.....very easy.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode