What is the best, most accurate and cheapest test kit available - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is the best, most accurate and cheapest test kit available

If I was to buy a Nitrate, GH/KH, Phosphate and Iron test kit, which brand/type is the best?
I did a search through the forum and couldnt find an answer.
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
IMHO, the best hobby test kits are made by Hach and LaMotte. Due to their accuracy, they are also the most expensive. If you want to go with the best, that's the way to go. You should verify the accuracy of any kit with known solution(s), especially if you go with the cheaper kits. As far as gh/kh goes, it's a simple titration, and most kits will give you decent results. I wouldn't bother spending money on an iron test kit, not worth it.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks.

I will get a LaMotte for the Nitrates and Phos.

When I test for KH/GH though, I always come up with clear to yellow right away, although its supposed to turn from blue to yellow. It could just mean I have super soft water.

With what substance can I test my KH/GH kit?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 229oz
It could just mean I have super soft water.

With what substance can I test my KH/GH kit?
It is probably just that!

You can use baking soda to check your test kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
It is probably just that!

You can use baking soda to check your test kit.

So you mean add baking soda to the test water and test again to see if it goes up right? (Just to make sure I understand)

Also, does the hardness need to be raised slowly or can you just raise it to the target area in one water change/addition?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Search for baking soda on this board, you will find how many tsp will raise kH by how much in how much water. So you could for example fill a 5 gal bucket, dissolve enough bs to raise kH to 5 or 10, then measure again to see if your test kit is correct.

I have rock-hard water, so I am not up to date on the specifics, but I would always err on the safe side and raise the kH up in steps, maybe if it is zero raise it to 2 with one WC, then to 4 on the next.

Of course, if you don't use CO2 injection or are breeding chocolate gouramies then there is no real reason to raise the kH at all

Also, sometimes ppl here sell "used" LaMotte and such test kits, you can buy the test chemicals separately and perhaps save some money there, if you'd like.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode