goin nuts, please help (fert q) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to seastar0328 Send a message via MSN to seastar0328 Send a message via Yahoo to seastar0328
goin nuts, please help (fert q)

My bags of dry ferts display different chemical compounds than what I can find on here or anywhere when trying to figure out the proper amount to dose my 35. Looking this up on past threads I came across this quote by Shalu:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalu
To use an analogy, on fertilizor bags, you see numbers for P2O5 and K2O are listed, but that does not mean the actual product has those ingredients at all, more likely they are in the form of PO4 and K+. Those number are given for the equivalent P and K contained in it.

Would someone be able to explain this to me, or just confirm that this is true? My Nitrates come from Nitrate of Soda (N), Superphosphate (P2O5), and Muriate of Potash (K2O).

I am asking this because I was reading the dosing threads to learn how much dry ferts to dose in my tank. I was up all night trying to figure out calculations for the chemical compounds in my ferts thinking they were different (P2O5 instead of P2O4 etc), but then I found this thread.

Below are the specifics for my ferts. I have no problem doing math on my own, I just need a little help. Particularly alarming is the guaranteed analysis on the nitrate of soda. 16% nitrate, but the thing is derived from nitrate of soda.....soda meaning calcium carbonate.....580 lbs per ton....

My ferts are N= Nitrate of soda...16-0-0
total nitrogen (N) = 16%
16% nitrate nitrogen
derived from: nitrate of soda
potential basicity - 580 lbs calcium carbonate per ton.

Superphosphate 0-18-0
Available Phosphat (P2O5) = 18%
Derived from : superphosphate

Muriat of Potash which is not the KCl as calculated in this thread already
0-0-60
Soluble Potash (K2)) = 60%
Derived from: muriat of Potash

Also I read that dosing Fe is a "luxury not a necessity". Knowing this after I bought some liquid iron, I didn't dose my tank yet. It does, however, contain some trace minerals as well: Sulfur, Copper, Manganese, and Zinc. I thought copper was bad bad bad news for fish though this contains .125% water soluble copper. If not, is this a cheap replacement for LFS micros?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
I'd like to know who wrote that dosing Fe was a luxury, not a necessity. Maybe I should send them some iron starved sword plants. Oh wait - I don't have any because I dose Fe. I used to have them though - before I stumbled across some article that recommended Ferroplant for that. Before, i couldn't figure out why swords would grow pale and sickly before dying on me. It took a move to another water supply, and suddenly healthy thriving swords to make me question it, especially when I moved back and got the pale sickly swords again.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINNGG
I'd like to know who wrote that dosing Fe was a luxury, not a necessity. Maybe I should send them some iron starved sword plants. Oh wait - I don't have any because I dose Fe. I used to have them though - before I stumbled across some article that recommended Ferroplant for that. Before, i couldn't figure out why swords would grow pale and sickly before dying on me. It took a move to another water supply, and suddenly healthy thriving swords to make me question it, especially when I moved back and got the pale sickly swords again.
I think she may have got that from the Dosing Regime thread which I wrote, but it has been taken out of context therefore the spirit in which it was written has been skewed.
What was wrote is:
Iron/Fe is a luxury, not a necessity, you will have enough Iron/Fe in your trace mix to satisfy the need's required, if the tank in question is new, immature, don't dose extra Iron/Fe, wait until the tank is balanced and mature, Then dose Fe as above

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to seastar0328 Send a message via MSN to seastar0328 Send a message via Yahoo to seastar0328
I apologize if I took that quote out of context, that sentence just stuck in my head for a few days (I hope that wasn't a meanie eyeroll lol). I wasn't sure if I needed to add outside Fe to the tank with my micros if I already have fluorite and if it's already in my water supply. I am still new at this thing and am trying desperately to find an answer to this overall fert dosing question.

I guess the reason being that I have kept fish for 15 years, and my main concern is my fish. I do not want to be throwing crap in my tank in the spirit of experimentation and at the expense of my fish. I am thinking of moving them until I'm done with this experiment but I don't know where to find the proper amounts of these chemicals which to add to the tank or if they are ok to add if their chemical makeup is different than that of those already mentioned in this forum.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
It would be helpful if modern companies would stop using the old chemical names some of which date back to alchemy.

Nitrate of Soda = Sodium Nitrate = NaNO3
Superphosphate = Ca(H2PO4)2·H20
Muriate of Potash = Potassium Chloride = KCl
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Nitrate of Soda... Sodium Nitrate... most ppl here use KNO3 which is potassium nitrate. Potassium is a valuable nutrient, sodium not so much, not sure if the sodium would harm your plants.

Same with Super Phosphate, most ppl use mono potassium phosphate KH2PO4, hope someone can shed light at the suitability of super phosphate. You just might half ten lifetimes supply of P on your hands there!

Muriate of potash is KCl, so you can use Chucks calc to figure out how much of that raises potassium in a particular volume of water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you Ransom for clearing up the name confusion!! I read that muriate of potash is KCl but on my bag it says K2O, probably the same thing as far as the ancient names go?

Thank you Wasserpest for your reply also, I am on the prowl for Na and its effect on plants. I wanted to use Chuck's calculator so bad because I think it's the coolest thing!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode