My math right for dosing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm using Kent's Botanic line of fertilizers and I am trying to make myself a cheat-sheet for dosing the tank based on my tests.

Each ml of Nitro contains 10 mg of Nitrogen or 44.2 mg of nitrate.

I have a 20 gallon tank which is about 75 liters.

So if I dose 1 ml of Nitro I would get 0.588 mg/L of nitrate.

44.2/75.166 = 0.588

So if I added 10 ml I would be adding 5.88 mg/L of nitrate? Therefore if I did a test on the tank after the water circulate, and assuming none of it was absorbed, my test kit should show about 5 mg/L right?

Now to get Kent's to tell me how much Potassium is in the Botanica K bottle for each ml.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm12463
So if I added 10 ml I would be adding 5.88 mg/L of nitrate? Therefore if I did a test on the tank after the water circulate, and assuming none of it was absorbed, my test kit should show about 5 mg/L right?
Only if you use distilled water or your NO3 is 0 in the tap water AND there is nothing that creates NO3 in you tank (basically empty).
My tap water has 10 ppm NO3... but this is used up quickly by plants.
If you are not sure, I would suggest the following: Fill a 5 gal bucket with tap water. Measure NO3. Dose 1/4 of the NO3 that you figured out (2.5 ml) and mix it into the water and see if it raises the original NO3 level by the expected amount. Then measure you tank NO3 just to make sure.
Then you know by how much 10 ml will increase the NO3 level. I would add NO3 only based on what you measure in your tank. Depending on many factors...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess I should have said theoretically it would show on the test around the 5mg/L when I added the 10 ml to the tank.

The reason I am asking is I am trying to figure out the instructions on the label of Botanica. I want to make sure I have the math right and I am not missing anything. Basically I went to make myself a chart that says X mls of this bottle equals X amount. Basically so I have a bench mark. And of course I would always test and make adjustments to the dosage.

I'll try the bucket thing. I never thought about doing that. I would give me a really good starting point. Great idea.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Mike

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 02:05 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm12463
I guess I should have said theoretically it would show on the test around the 5mg/L when I added the 10 ml to the tank.

The reason I am asking is I am trying to figure out the instructions on the label of Botanica. I want to make sure I have the math right and I am not missing anything. Basically I went to make myself a chart that says X mls of this bottle equals X amount. Basically so I have a bench mark. And of course I would always test and make adjustments to the dosage.

I'll try the bucket thing. I never thought about doing that. I would give me a really good starting point. Great idea.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
It sounds to me as though you are trying to do two things at the same time. Your trying to figure out the dosage of nitrogen for your tank...which you have done correctly. 1 ml would add 0.588ppm to a 20G tank. The other issue is regarding how accurate your nitrate test kit is...unless it's a LaMotte is not likely to be very accurate in the low range. Wasserpest's test using distilled water can help you determine if your test kit is reasonably accurate. Now you can label that Kent bottle with 20G instructions.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 05:48 AM
Are these real?

Steve, I am surprised by the low range capability of the Red Sea NO3 kit. It costs only a fraction of LaMotte's, and it is much more useful than AP's. Just my 2 bits...

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So you both don't think the AP kit is worth it? That is what I picked up. My PO4 test kit is a Red Sea. Maybe I will look to get a NO3 test kit by Red Sea and compate the results.

Mike

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Are these real?

Unless you need to differenciate between 20 and 160 ppm the different hues of yellow and orange in the AP NO3 kit are very difficult to interpret (for me... others are more successful). The Red Sea kit lets me easily distinguish between 0, 2.5, 5 and 10 ppm, and with a little effort 7.5 ppm as well... So yeah, for my purposes the AP one is worthless, for a "normal" fishkeeper that needs to monitor to keep levels below 40 ppm it could be sufficient.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode