Carbon in Planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Carbon in Planted tank

I have carbon in my canister filter. Is it true that it is not good for planted tanks? Does it really take out the elements that plants need from the water? I am having hard time growing my plants, I just wander if this would be the cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You don't mention how much light you are using, and light is what drives plant growth more than anything else. Also, your temperature is very high for most plants, but really good for algae. I doubt that the carbon is the problem, but it isn't needed in a planted tank.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
carbon supposedly strips the water of things that are benificial for plants ....im not sure if its true because i have never studied its effect on removing ferts.....but carbon gets "used up" fast.....so unless you replace it regularly , i wouldnt worry about it.....i would focus more on your light and ferts than on the carbon.....as for the heat being a problem for your plants...i went to a seminar and was told that most plants can survive in high heat but that their metabolism is sped up and you have to give them more "food"

30 gallon pita...102watts..pressurized co2 ...jbj regulator...eco-complete substrate...xp-2... inline c-02 reactor...turbo twist uv

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I do not use carbon in my aquarium filters. With how much water we are changing for Discus its not needed...IMO.

Ive also noticed that Discus should be kept in 82-84F. Are you still having health problems? If not I would kick it down a notch. My 65g tank is at a lower 80-82F while my 90g is at 82-84F.

Want to see more...check out my website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like to use carbon in my filters when I initually set them up. This may help reduce algae bloom in the beginning due to it's ability to reduce ammonnia spiking. Then it just stays in there and becomes biomedia. In most cases the only time you will need it again is if you want to remove medication or tannins, but regularily I don't see the point. That temp should be fine for growing plants, but if you can without comprimising the health of the fish you may have an easier time with about 82 or so.

If you do like to use some type of chemical filtration I would recommend Seachem Purigen. I have been using it in my tank on and off now for several months and I have had good results and no compromise in plant health. Actually when I use it they pearl like mad and it makes the water crystal clear.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode