Modified E.I. Dosing Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Modified E.I. Dosing Help

I am leaving in a week for 15 days and I am having my parents look after my two tanks (20 Gallon Long and 38 Gallon). I want to be able to continue with E.I. on the 38 gallon, but I can't have my parents adding stuff every day, plus I don't plant on having them do any water changes (only toping-off when needed). I was thinking about having them add stuff twice a week for the two weeks, but I don't really know how much I should have them add since there won't be a water change for the entire time and I don't want too much nutrients to build up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this?

BTW, the tank is medium-high light with CO2. I have KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, and trace mix (Plantex CSM+B Solution plus a bit of Flourish Iron).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I would slightly reduce the lighting and maybe cut fertilizer doses in half. Skipping a water change for one week won't do much harm, plants should still eat up the chemicals so things won't build up too much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Reducing the lights isn't an option because the 38 only has one 96 watt tube. I was wondering what exactly you meant by cutting them in half. I will be dosing less often anyways, so should I just go with the regular amounts on a less frequent interval, or should I cut the amounts in half as well as dosing on a less frequent interval. I get your general direction with the cutting it in half, but could you clarify what would be the way to go about it.

BTW, I really do want my plants to do well while I'm away. I did a few trims so that things would have plenty of room to grow in the 15 days, but there is still a jungle in there with plenty of watersprite to soak up ferts .

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
You know, I am trying to answer that myself, not sure which is better but I bet both ways would work fine. If you have someone dosing they would probably prefer less frequent.

Regarding the light, think about cutting hours instead of watts, or raising it up a little.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
The frequncy will not matter so much as you redice the light intensity and as you limit/reduce other growth factors.

So a non CO2 method tank might never need a dosing.

A med light CO2 tank might be okay with 2x a week.
A high light CO2 tank seems to have to have max rates when you dose 3x or more a week.

I figured that one out along with many others jeeeze? 10-12 years ago now.
I tedn to maintain the same dosing amounts/volumes /ppm per dose, but merely change the frequencies.

You can play with both factors/treatments and reduce the amounts till you see a negative growth response.

Then bump it back up to the previous dosing excess amount.
You do not need a test kit to do this either nor find that point, just make sure you can control the volume of what you are dosing and work one nutrient at a time.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay. I got the idea. I think I have a plan, if someone could just look over it that would be great:

38 Gallon Tank
Day 1: 1/2 tsp KNO3 + 1/8 tsp KH2P04 + 1/8 tsp K2SO4
Day 2: 4 ml Trace/Iron Mix
Day 3: None
Day 4: None
Day 5: 1/2 tsp KNO3 + 1/8 tsp KH2P04 + 1/8 tsp K2SO4
Day 6: 4 ml Trace/Iron Mix
Day 7: None
Day 8: None
Day 9: 1/2 tsp KNO3 + 1/8 tsp KH2P04 + 1/8 tsp K2SO4
Day 10: 4 ml Trace/Iron Mix
Day 11: None
Day 12: None
Day 13: 1/2 tsp KNO3 + 1/8 tsp KH2P04 + 1/8 tsp K2SO4
Day 14: 4 ml Trace/Iron Mix
Day 15: None
Day 16: I return and do 50% waterchange and everything is back to normal

Does this seem like it would work alright? It has the same amounts as suggested in the "_Dosing Regime's_" post that I have been loosely following, but I have it going slightly under 2 times a week instead of 3 times a week for everything. Is this enough, or should I cut back the amounts as well?

Thanks
-Fosty-
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
The best way to find out is give it a trial run before you leave, see how things pan out.
Gone that long I would leave the lights on no more than 8 hrs a day and not very intense.

Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode