Magnesium??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (13/100%)
Magnesium???

Does anyone dose magnesium? I noticed a few older leaves on a few plants that are turning yellow'ish at the tips and started looking through the various deficiency symptoms and lacking magnesium fit the bill.

I have very soft water and I dose Seachem Equilbrium at water changes and I dose Tropica Master Grow 3 times a week. But, I did a calculation and at the doses I use (75 gallon tank, 1 tbsp Equilibrium per 20 gallons of water changed and 15 ml of TMG each 3x weekly dose) the magnesium content in my tank is only raised about 1.5 ppm (mg in Equilibrium is 2.41% and in TMG is .39%. According to Chuck Gadd's calculator target range should be 5-10 ppm.

Do those #'s that seem right? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Assuming "very soft" is a dGH of 3 or below, an added half teaspoon of epsom salts shouldn't hurt anything in a 75gallon tank. My dGH is only 3 and my Mg from the tap is less than 5ppm (as Mg, not CaCO3 equivalent). I add up to 3/4 teaspoon of Mg at each water change. Epsom salt is ridiculously cheap at the local drug/grocery store!

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

The "natural" GH of my water is close to zero. Basically all of the hardness is coming from the Equilibrium. Given that, would a half tsp be enough?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
You could always skip the Equilibrium and use Epsom salts and a calcium salt (take your pick from Greg Watson or other sources). If you need to increase KH as well, use baking soda.

As far as amount, people with very hard water will tell you that the plants will do fine with excess Mg and Ca - it's difficult to get to the point of "too much" - go ahead and use a heaping teaspoon of Epsom salt with each water change.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help KevinC.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 02:08 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Epsom salt (MgSO4.7H2O) is included in many of the online aquarium calculators. The fertilator, over at APC, gives the following results:

-at 75 gallons of water, 1 teaspoon of Epsom Salts yields 1.68 ppm of Mg.

-suggested minimum amounts for Mg are around 3-5ppm, so I would go 2 or 3 teaspoons in a 75g.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode