What am I deificent in?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
What am I deificent in??

I am having a problem with almost all of my plants developing yellow spots that spread to cover most of the leaf, also some of the plants are developing pinholes in the leaves that spread also. This is a 55 Gal tank with 190 watts of light (110 watt 10k AH supply lights and 2 40watt 9325 T-12's) and the following water parameters:
Temp: 76 degF
Kh: 8
Ph: 7.0
This puts my CO2 concentration at about 24ppm.

I does on the following schedule:
Day 1:
20Ml Flourish excel
KNO3 7g
KH2PO4 .6g
K2SO4 3g
CSM+B+Fe 4g
CACO3 15g
MGSO4.7H2O 10g

Day 3 and 5 are the same schedule, day 6 is a 50% water change followed by the same dose of nutrients.

What am I deficient in that is causing these problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Do you inject CO2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

My CO2 is DIY yeast, it is fairly stable around 30-40ppm, I just changed the bottles today so it will be coming back up.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Anybody???
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not sure generally this is a potassium defeciency, but you are dosing as much on your 55 gallon as I do on my 120 so I don't know. Maybe try a different type of trace fert?

What kinda of plant is it that is having the problem. Is it all the plants or just a certain one?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

It is showing up on 2 of my anubias and a Java Fern. I am dosing that high based on a fertilization calculator on another site, I tend to dose on the high side due to the amount of light on the tank.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Perhaps a fish in your tank has decided to chew on your plants?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 02:20 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
It's a high-light tank, that's why I was concerned about the CO2.

Other than that, can you post a nice big shot of the tank?

I think your clown loaches chew on the plants... the do that sometimes.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 06:11 PM

I am having similar problem with my stem plants. They went from excellent growth, to 5 leafs per stem. My tank looks really crapy right now. Some of the stems even rotted away. It all started like yours, and it is still progressing. I am also dosing regulary and doing the water changes, and injecting CO2. Still all is going the wrong way.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think your clown loaches are munching on the plants.I know mine do specially on Brown Wendtii Crypt.but the spots are not perfectly round.Can you take the Clowns out for a week or so and see if there is any change.?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

I am going to try changing the way I dose this tank, I have been reading that dosing the CSM and the other nutrients at the same time can cause the iron to precipitate out before the plants have a chance to use it. I am going to dose the CSM on off days from everything else and see how it goes. I am fairly confident on my CO2 levels due to the drop I am getting when it is running (1 - 1.5 pH drop)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah while I don't think that it is set in stone most do not add phophate and Iron at the same time because it is thought to combine and cause a Iron Phosphate. I think if the Iron is chelated though that it may not matter as much. Dosing on separate days will not hurt anything though and just may help. BTW you can also dose at two different times of the day if that is more convient for you. Dose one in the morning and the other in the evening.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode